post war sales catalogues

wally dugan

HERE are two pages with both styles of the RN numbers as to the other registration numbers some like BT

the most of these details are contain in the establishment documents which take between 4 1/2 to 5 hours to go through

THE ones you are interested in are after 1950 most request l get are for vehicle details between 1945 - 1949 though l

do get requests for things like jeep numbers go through the post 1950 sales

lately l have been thinking of stopping not be cause lack of interest as l know that the last post has had over 700 views

up to now

Wally can you me the location etc of this sale please

TED

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there,

Just wondering on the off-chance that someone may have a copy of a Ruddington sales catalogue with a page listing for a specific vehicle, I will attach image of vehicle index card for reference.

Many thanks. :)

Screen Shot, history card.jpg

Little bit of a catch on that one because the SO date was 21/6/77, this coincided with first day of Sale No. 147 that included a lot of similar vehicles. But it doesn't appear in the sales catalogue as the sale date usually follows the SO date by an auction or two.

39 FJ 18 was Lot No. 89 in Sale No. 148 17/8/77

I'll get a picture of that page posted up.

That's no problem as I had a reliable date to go on. What is a problem is where people can only come up with a vague few years & that would take ages trawling through thousands upon thousands of entries. Would be lovely to get it all on a database :D

• 1 month later...

AUGUST 25th 1946

Humber staff cars wrongly identified as 8 cwt and then corrected in the auctioneers catalogue as shooting brakes

lot 4873 made £ 409-10 shilling lot 4709 made £ 456-15 shillings lot 4723 made £ 414-15 shillings these are marked

up as excellent to new condition

hum1.jpg

hum2.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pete, there's another site which is very useful: https://www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/

It allows you to compare past and present prices in a number of different ways; inflation, purchasing power, wage comparison and so on, and gives some idea of the best measure to use.

For example, I have a Ruddington catalogue from around 1952, which shows Bedford O types selling at, I think, £25 each. I found it interesting that in wage terms, that was almost exactly what I used to see Bedford TKs sell for at Aston Down in the '90s.

As an example, the Fodens that I've commented on in the past come out around £35,000 in RPI terms, but £92,000 in terms of the proportion of an average weekly wage it would take to buy them (probably the most meaningful), and a frightening £135,000 in terms of GDP per capita income!

• 2 weeks later...

Now I can see the listings but I am not sure why! Great to see these documents.

I am still hunting buses & coaches sold off after the end of WWII since impressed vehicles were not returned to their original operators but appear to have been sold off presumably via the auctions. Finding information on this seems almost impossible.