Fordson WOT2

justbackdated

Hi Folks, a belated hello from Tim & Julie!! Boy has it been a busy summer!! We are currently restoring a WOT2 that has been barn stored since its last use as a breakdown truck for a Ford dealership in Lockerbie; never been road registered!!

My first car at 18yrs was a '42 Ford GPW which I still own 35-odd years later, currently British 6th Airborne, but I first restored it with US markings. The WOT we have recently bought and have stripped and are just about turning the corner and starting to put things back where they belong rather than being spread all over the garden! And, of course are now finding out just what parts we need to find!! Anyone have any wheelnuts? I have some Bedford ones that don't fit!!

We are trying to restore it as close as possible to the original method of build. It seems, through some archaeological type work, that most of the parts were primed in semi gloss black, all bolted together, and then sprayed with a vague coat of 'Army Green', most of which has peeled off!! The Garage painted the truck red and blue, but that is all the paint it has ever had!

I will post some pics when I have figured out how to.

Regards to all

Tim & Ju

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Folks, here[i hope] is a pic of the truck in its 'towing' guise together with a pic of how it was when we had just got it home.

The story is that the previous owner bought the WOT 30 odd years ago, started stripping it but then got involved in the resto of a Quad and the WOT was sidelined. Fortunately a lot of parts were obtained to complete the truck; 15cwt timber back, windscreen, hood hoops etc., although we have found there are a few bits we are missing; more of that later!!

P1070478.JPG

IMG_1477.jpg

The main things we seem to be short of at the moment are the outer straps/brackets that mount to the cowl for the windscreens[we have the centre support] and the big toolbox from behind the cab. We are also missing some wheelnuts too!! A Lucas dizzy cap is required too, ours is cracked. If anyone can help with bits please let us know.

The truck is completely stripped to component parts at the moment, we will try to sort a 'resto' thread if we can.

The images seem small on here, is there a way to enlarge them or will they be 'clickable' to view them better?

Cheers

Tim n Ju

Great pics and a nice project. It sound like you have been quite lucky in finding body parts.

Thanks very much, we were lucky that the previous owner had spent so much time collecting parts for the truck, some of which are NOS like the windscreens and their opening slider mechanisms. Still short of some stuff though!!

My WOT2 was a breakdown truck once, in the early 1970s.

Hi Robert, just discovered how to do this 'quotey' thing!!

Yes, We know your truck from the article in CMV and also the pics in the WOT2 book for modellers. Not actually seen it in the flesh yet though, at least not recently anyway, was it at the Knebworth MVCG show many years ago? I remember admiring a WOT2 back then thinking it would be nice to own one!!

Welcome along - I have a WOT2 as well :)

Ha, got the 'quotey' thing off to a T now!!

Hi Lauren, do you have any pictures of your WOT2? It would be nice to see another for reference.

The Ford family of trucks seem very few and far between. I now know of two WOT3 and I think 8 WOT2 including ours, although some of those are overseas and/or only rumours!!

Saw this at the Lincoln Motorhome show though!!

P1070449.JPG

P1070450.JPG

Hi Robert, just discovered how to do this 'quotey' thing!!

Yes, We know your truck from the article in CMV and also the pics in the WOT2 book for modellers. Not actually seen it in the flesh yet though, at least not recently anyway, was it at the Knebworth MVCG show many years ago? I remember admiring a WOT2 back then thinking it would be nice to own one!!

Yes, it was at Knebworth. I think it was the first big show I took the truck to. Must have been 1983.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

G'day Tim,

I'll me watching your project WITH a lot of interest mate:D in the next two-three week's I'll be starting on my Fordson WOT2-h project to, here are some photo's of my truck.

As you can see it's pretty well complete all I'm missing is the driver's side door, rear tailgate, towing pin, rear hood/cab bow's so Tim if you come across of any of these parts let me know same here if i can help you out with anything let me know.

Cheers for now and good luck with your WOT

Ian Mastin

From Australia

Picture 088.jpg

Picture 094.jpg

Picture 086.jpg

Picture 092.jpg

Picture 095.jpg

G'day Tim,

I'll me watching your project WITH a lot of interest mate:D in the next two-three week's I'll be starting on my Fordson WOT2-h project to, here are some photo's of my truck.

As you can see it's pretty well complete all I'm missing is the driver's side door, rear tailgate, towing pin, rear hood/cab bow's so Tim if you come across of any of these parts let me know same here if i can help you out with anything let me know.

Cheers for now and good luck with your WOT

Ian Mastin

From Australia

Ian

Are you sure it's an H model? With the bellows air cleaner it could be an E model. Looks a good project - keep us informed of your progress.

Robert Davey