What medium-sized British lorry?

BSA WM20

After bumping into a few MVT'ers with a Morris, Bedford and Austin (15cwt trucks?) it's got my brain ticking about the possibility of owning a wartime lorry. But, my (limited) knowledge only stretches to motorcycles at the mo and I wondered if anyone could steer me in the direction of which make/model to look for in terms of price, spares availability, etc. My only criteria at the mo is that it should be a British vehicle and of a similar size to an MW, etc.

Thanks in advance, Lee.

The Bedford MW range would be a good bet, comparatively good parts availability for major components and a reliable straight six cylinder engine that you will be able to get to grips with without the complications of a V8 in the case of the WoT's or the more difficult parts supply for the Morris C4/8 range.

Pete

The Bedford MW range would be a good bet, comparatively good parts availability for major components and a reliable straight six cylinder engine that you will be able to get to grips with without the complications of a V8 in the case of the WoT's or the more difficult parts supply for the Morris C4/8 range.

The V8's not complicated, it just knows what it likes and sulks until it gets it :)

The V8's not complicated, it just knows what it likes and sulks until it gets it :)

True Lauren and they are pretty bullet proof and very easy to build, I'm just scarred I think from dodgy divers bell distributors weak condensers and fuel vaporization issues on CMP 6 volt systems :-(

Pete lover of straight sixes

Go MW mate. Had mine for a year and a half now and i love it!!. Great to drive, as economical as a Jeep, reliable and parts have so far been easy to obtain. Get a later one with a Cab, then its a great all weather vehicle.

Richard

Although I'd prefer a Brit truck, a Canadian 15cwt Ford made £5000 on eBay (item no 251325597183). Is this the sort of figure Fords sell for and, if so, are the British trucks commanding more money? Is the 70th anniversary boosting prices?

I always suggest to our members that they should try to get a drive of a members vehicle,even at showgrounds maybe at the end of the day when the public have gone, because it looks right does not mean that it is right. You may find that it does not suit you. Thats what the club is all about, helping each other.

From what I've seen, British and Commonwealth vehicles are all approximately the same in terms of cost. A lot depends on condition, "correctness", model, and spares availability.

Ultimately you need to decide how much you'd be happy paying for a vehicle, and if it comes in under that then you're laughing. That'll probably go out of the window when you see the one you want, but hey, it's worth trying :)

I put "correctness" in speech marks because it's difficult to tell with limited information saved from the war, and with so many different opinions. Do a bit of research yourself before buying, and talk to the owner about the history. Very little left these days is perfect though, so there will always be things that need some tweaking. Some tweaks are more expensive/difficult than others.

Either way you will end up spending far more than they're worth on maintenance, running, and "I'll get one of those just in case" spares, so keep that in mind when setting your budget.

Edited by Lauren Child