GMC CCKW Dump Truck

HWade

Well the rest of the Dump body is now in primer, I have got the tail gate and head board out ready for blasting tomorrow, I finish some repair work to one of the sills this has now been painted, I also blasted all of the pieces of trim for the inside of the cab these have also been painted along with the battery box cover.I hope to carry on with some of the electrics tomorrow if the parts turn up, why cant peaple send things first class!. heres a few more pics, some of tail board before it goes under the blaster and the head board and some of the cab trim and wheels.Howard

gmctipper 001.JPG

gmctipper 002.JPG

gmctipper 003.JPG

gmctipper 005.JPG

gmctipper 008.JPG

gmctipper 007.JPG

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the tail gate and head board went under the blaster today, the tail gate had some holes in the metalwork at the bottom, so I will cut this out and weld in a new section, the head board, turned out to be Rotten in quite a few places although all the meatal work was in good order, so the decision has been made to replace all the timbers with new hardwood tongue and groove.I shall also order the new hardwood boards for the floor section in the dump body. Your see that there is a bit of paint still left on the head board, this was because it had a light blat at a lower pressure, but it did not stop blowing holes in the rotten wood.

gmctipper 002.JPG

gmctipper 001.JPG

gmctipper 003.JPG

gmctipper 004.JPG

gmctipper 006.JPG

gmctipper 007.JPG

gmctipper 008.JPG

gmctipper 010.JPG

gmctipper 011.JPG

Well a bit more progress on the truck today, the head board has now been taken apart and most of the metal work has been blasted and primed. The new wood has also been ordered for the rebuild of the head board, kiln dried oak.Ive also got new bolts on order. I also managed to finish off the wiring in the dash. Heres a few pics of the blasted and primed parts. Howard

gmctipper 001.JPG

gmctipper 002.JPG

gmctipper 003.JPG

gmctipper 004.JPG

gmctipper 005.JPG

gmctipper 007.JPG

gmctipper 009.JPG

Well more work has been done on the truck, the tailgate has been repaired and now has been prepped and primed, I have also done more with the electrics, and also fitted one of the new window runners in the passenger door. I have also had the new glass cut for the front windscreen and the rear window.I have also started to fit the new stainless steel exhaust system, which seems a bit of a tight fit,I will let you all now how this goes I would be interested to here from others who have fitted these stainless exhaust systems and weather they have had to alter anything.Well thats it for now more to follow.

gmctipper 003.JPG

gmctipper 005.JPG

gmctipper 009.JPG

gmctipper 007.JPG

Looking good Howard. Would be great if those couple of Chevy bits were available !!

Regarding the stainless exhaust system, assuming that you got it from Rex speak to Richard as I believe he had the first on that Rex sold and fitted it too his compressor truck. I know that he had some issues with it so he may be able to help.

Hi well a bit more done on the truck in the way of blasting some small parts also got the inner divider blaster that sit in the dump body, i do need to do some welding on this and get e new piano hinge for it, heres a couple of pics before and after blasting, blackout light bracket lights ect. more to follow. Howard

gmctipper 002.JPG

gmctipper 003.JPG

The piggyback bracket was part of a retrofit kit. I'm not sure if there were different versions, but it could be fitted to the left hand headlight guard on just about any early truck, certainly Dodge, GMC, and Chev

Well a few more bits now painted I also positioned the body in the spray booth ready for the top coat, The wood has also been delivered all pre cut and planed ready for putting the head board and cab protector back together. I may well try and get some of the body in drab today. Heres a few more pics.I have also managed to get one of the new canvas door seals sitted on the passenger side. Howard

gmctipper 017.JPG

gmctipper 018.JPG

gmctipper 019.JPG

gmctipper 020.JPG

gmctipper 023.JPG

Well yet again another good day on the GMC dump truck, with the help of my master carpenter Tony Henwood, the head board was assembled in his work shop and bought over to mine this morning for the final fit up, and I have to say it has all worked out very well, thanks again for your services Tony. I have also got more wiring done on the rear of the truck and also got the blackout light fitted on the front brush guard, also the floor boards were fitted in the section of the floor where the divider sits in the bed of the dump body.I will tomorrow get the head board in primer ready for the top coat in the good old olive drab.heres a few pics for you all to digest. Howard

gmctipper 001.JPG

gmctipper 003.JPG

gmctipper 002.JPG

gmctipper 007.JPG

gmctipper 009.JPG

gmctipper 014.JPG

gmctipper 013.JPG

gmctipper 004.JPG

Well the head board and floor panels are all primed up ready for the olive drab tomorrow, We have made two removable panels for the hole in the floor where the partition goes thought this would tidy it up rather that two holes in the floor which is standard for the dump truck. Also managed to get some drab on the dump body. Howard

GMCTIPPER 005.JPG

GMCTIPPER 006.JPG

GMCTIPPER 009.JPG

GMCTIPPER 008.JPG

GMCTIPPER 002.JPG

GMCTIPPER 003.JPG

GMCTIPPER 004.JPG

Is there a definitive reason for those two small holes to be there Howard, apart from letting anything that's on the wrong side of the partition fall on the driveshaft?

( Oh, and you might slow down a bit as you are embarassing the rest of us ) :cool2:

Is there a definitive reason for those two small holes to be there Howard, apart from letting anything that's on the wrong side of the partition fall on the driveshaft?

( Oh, and you might slow down a bit as you are embarassing the rest of us ) :cool2:

Hello Gordon,

Mmm thats what i thought i find it hard to beleave you would be loading a truck with the risk of rocks overloading and falling on the prop shaft ect, but from what i can work out that was the case, hence making the two small lift out panels. You can all have a bit of catch up, I am taking the weekend off. Hoping to get up to the 1940s weekend at Holt in Norfolk even if its just for the day. Cheers Howard.

Thanks Howard, I'll ease back a bit then. :blush:

I understand the logic of a hole somewhere there, and you wouldn't want to weaken the structure, but does seem a little strange, and two holes as well, where one would have done ( one each side of driveshaft I suppose )

I take it that there isn't a missing cover plate lurking undiscovered somewhere?

Otherwise, as already said, you would loose most of your load.

Seems strange to have a recess full width across the body as that would cause any load to stick in the body.

A flush floor would be more suitable for a dump body.

Has there been a hydraulic ram fitted at all around this point?

As that may be a means of access to the top link on the ram.

Excellent looking work though.