Matchless G3L Colour and Parts

Smudger

Hello Smudger. Nothing carved in stone with paint colours. The official colour at that time was Khaki Green and often known as Khaki Gas Proof. A sort of battle dress colour, but with different manufacturers interpretations, anything could have happened. Around 42 the official colour was switch to Service Brown. I have found that different shades of Khaki can be produced by mixing Olive Drab and Service Brown.

What sort of rear lamp are you looking for. I think I might be able to part with a NOS fag end lamp.(but not cheap). PM me with your email address for a picture. Ron

Hi all, first, the date of manufacturing should be established, can be found with the frame number, only a very small part of all the 41 G3L's were manufactured in 1941, so if you give me the number, here or by PM, I can have a look.

Cheers,

Lex

One of the biggest issues has been establishing exactly when production of the G3L commenced..........contract issue dates are not reliable as these were often issued months in advance of production.............

My opinion ? Trial G3Ls during late-1940 to 1941, production not actually commencing until early 1942............

My own 16H had a mid-1940 contract, but the factory ledgers suggest manufacture did not occur until around March 1941 and delivery (to an ordnance depot) and issue likely some time after that.........

• 6 years later...
On 7/17/2020 at 1:14 AM, Nitin said:

Hi there, i am having a 1941 matchless g3l and I want to know the colours used for civil models and its tank pinstrip colour. If anyone knows please let me know.

Not period photos of 1941 Matchless G3L Civilian trim but hopefully they are useful. 

https://classic-motorbikes.net/classic-bike-images/matchless-classic-motorcycles/matchless-g3l-gallery/

10168.jpg

thumb_10167.jpg