Series 11a FFR.....

sas pinkie

Question

I a mgetting itchy feet now the pinkie is nearly finished and after reading Artists resto, I am gonna get one of my first loves.

I have always loved the later 11a landies (somthing to do with this is what my dads rover was), and now there is one available...... it is the one on Milweb, I am off to see it this week, so hands off al of you..... tis mine.

But ity has raised a few questions.

It is a 1969 24v ffr LWB, but has a civvie rear cross member, and civvie headlights, and no sign of the two electrical connectors in the rear body tub (were the two electrical connectors still fitted at this point or had it switched to a single one on the cross member like the series 111).

I realise that the headlight surrounds and the cross member could have been changed, but they both have gloss green on them followed by Nato, is it possible that it was actually in service like this?

Where should the data plate be on one of these giving its military reg?

Which radios would have been fitted, it left service in 1982, when did clansman come in?

at what point did they paint nato green on the vehicles?

Anyone got any pics of one of these restored?

it has a large step welded to the rear cross member much like the piglets, is this a post mod mod, or could this have been done for northern Ireland?

Cheers.

16 answers to this question

Karl - Blanchards, Craddocks and Paddock all do the military rear crossmembers - either just the member or with extensions. Just the member ranges from £44 to £46 IIRC. Need one for mine so I've been looking recently!!! :-)

As regards Clansman - 21 were using that system in the late Seventies and all our Landies were 2A's

Stuart (SaracenStump) is the man for the rest of your questions as he has a 109" 2A FFR - a PM might be worthwhile???

ok, found the piccies of Saracenstumps 11a at the Gunpowder mills.

this raises more questions.

The one I am looking at also does not have bumperettes and it does not have the rubber door stops in the wings.

Is this from service or has it been mucked about with?

I would have said that it was a cl, but I have never heard of a CL being 24v or fitted as a FFR.

It does have the oil cooler fitted and the bonnet clips, and the threaded holes in the rear tub for the side arms.

the data plate on mine is on the bulkhead on the right of the steeringwheel,unforutunely mines been dropped to 12 volts but alot of the 24volt electrics remain ie the main harness for the generator and alot of earth straps and aeriel leads and holes!!!mine is a very late 2a so looks like a series 3width=640 height=480http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/saracenstump/cameraphotos402.jpg[/img]

give me a day or so and i'll get some more pics

Cheers Artists...... Any pics of your 11a's (not the pink ones) in service that you are allowed to show?

Sorry Karl - camera's were a bit of a no-no even back then (before the press latched on after the Iranian embassy seige). Think the only photo's I've got were from a maint'ce weekend at the DoY on MK's plus a couple from Pirbright when the "Pinkies" in European theatre markings were in use.

cheers sean, Great photo's.

I use to aown a civvie 1966 series 11a, that I sold because my mother gave me grief.... :roll:

I still to this day regret selling it, as I didnt need the money when I sold it, and I loved pootling about town in it......

Since then 11a prices have seemed to have sky rocketed, I bought the last one with no MOT for £100, needing a small amount of work, the now seem to go for £200 - £400 for complete basket cases :schocked:, well out of my reach for just a fun vehicle....... Until this buety came up...... :whistle:

Those pics were taken 16 years ago, you can see my son in a couple of them, he's 20 now :-o

I needed money at the time and the only consolation is that I sold it for more than I paid for it, £1500 I think.

Also a pic of when I got it wrong off road in Belgium, in front of a bunch of jeep owners to make it worse. Thankfully there was no damage except to my self esteem :oops:

well, been to see it and........ O dear, the Vendor was a tad optomistic when he described it as rot free....... :cry:

The bulk head would make a good tea strainer and I spentr half an hour under it, finding hole after hole after hole.......

So, if anyone knows where a reasonable one is for a reasonable price, let me know.