Is this a WW2 British Army shirt?

LarryH57

I saw this shirt at a jumble sale which I bought for £1. I think I am auto tuned to look at anything green! The lady on the stall thought it might have been a mans nightshirt and perhaps that's what many were used for. The shirt has button holes round the neck for a collar to be attached; for an Officer?. In the area above the label there are marks that look like a name or perhaps a dhobiwallah mark. British Army WW2 shirt (2).jpg

British Army WW2 shirt (1).jpg

Edited by LarryH57

It IS the WW2 O/R pattern.......these were the same pullover design, made from khaki-drab wool-flannel............but O/R's issue did not carry any label (they were size and maker-marked inside the collar band with ink-stamps but often undated) and were usually fitted with small grey "gunmetal" buttons (though some later issues around 1943-44 did feature plastic/veg-fibre buttons).........also, the issue-type didn't have buttonholes on the collar band............BUT (!) some earlier shirts were subsequently modified by the addition of buttonholes when attachable collars were permitted to wear a tie when off duty (from 1944 onward)..........

Many officers shirts of the era were of a similar style to the OR's type, but had attachable collars as ties were generally always worn........this style (for officers) persisted into the early 1950's when the collar-attached type became common, along with pockets, open front and epaulettes...........

The wartime collarless OR flannel shirt was itself modified around 1944 by the addition of a permanently-attached collar, labels NOW being featured and buttons generally all fibre/plastic rather than metal...........022.jpg

Shown are an original (rare 1940 dated) collarless OR shirt (new) and the 1944 issue with the now attached collar and plastic buttons............

021.jpg

Dear Wdbikemad, thanks for your reply; it would seem then that I have a modified mid WW2 OR shirt if it has 'plastic' type buttons, rather than metal, and buttonholes to take a detachable collar. The green colour of mine is just like the first photo I posted and not brown like yours or the shirts I have seen on Living History guys. Presumably they were made in slight colour variations or was there a shift away from brown at some stage? BTW mine has a small loop sown in to the shirt behind the collar, presumably so that it may be hung up but I'm not sure if this was a post-war mod when in use as a nightshirt!

Dear Wdbikemad, thanks for your reply; it would seem then that I have a modified mid WW2 OR shirt if it has 'plastic' type buttons, rather than metal, and buttonholes to take a detachable collar. The green colour of mine is just like the first photo I posted and not brown like yours or the shirts I have seen on Living History guys. Presumably they were made in slight colour variations or was there a shift away from brown at some stage? BTW mine has a small loop sown in to the shirt behind the collar, presumably so that it may be hung up but I'm not sure if this was a post-war mod when in use as a nightshirt!

The loop was also not featured on issue O/R shirts...........

I strongly suspect that yours is an officers private-purchase or WD-supplied officers pattern....dating from WW2 up to approximately 1953............

The other possibility is Commonwealth manufacture...?

OR's issue shirts do vary in colour, but are mostly a brown-shade of wool flannel....this varies from a rich brown, through light-tan, through to a khaki-green but always more "brown" in shade than "green"............officer issues on the other hand often vary more toward the greener shades back to light "tan" ...! :-D

Edited by wdbikemad