Would it be wise to drive a militant back 200 odd mikes home?

I had the very same thoughts as you (just get in and drive it home) when I bought a Foden recovery from Withams and to get it back home to Northumberland, however after thinking who wants to be stuck on the road side in an un-familiar area and try to organise getting it recovered from the road side at a reasonable price by recovery firm I decided to have it transported up costing around £400 and peace of mind. When it was delivered I took it out for a run on my own early on a Sunday morning, about 18 Miles later the temp gauge was in the red and it had snapped all three aux belts that drive the water pump, trust me it was not a good feeling to have 24ton of truck on road side on my own and the thought how do I get it back home without cooking it???????? and that was on my door step so to speak!!!!!! Good luck with whatever you decide to do, I just thought I let you know how things can get sticky when least expected. Maybe gather contact no's of recovery company's that are along your planned route just for if things get sticky. Good luck and enjoy.

I worked it out as 300 miles from Rhyl to home. A long way for a first run out with a Militant. Looks like a nice truck for the money!

When ours was first run for M.O.T. tests, and it's first registration (a 90 mile round trip to Brighton), my brother was fully tooled up, with water, oil, etc. He had problems with the top radiator hose coming off, and latterly with the tiny standard fuel pre-filter blocking with sediment from the tank. This is something it still sometimes suffers from, even with a larger filter and water trap.

The furthest I've done in a day with is about 200 miles which as others have described is knackering, even on a motorway or A road. Keeping cool is easy, open the windscreens. Even on the hottest day it works really well, but wear glasses! Anything over 5 miles at 30mph wear ear defenders, or your ears will be ringing when you try to go to sleep.

I really enjoy the Militant, it's pretty well unbreakable, other than the need to test it as it's 1964, it's really been a stress free vehicle.

If you buy one, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Jules

It would fit on a 6 wheel ridged weight wise, but height wise would be to high

Too high for what? Getting in or out of the yards?

There is no height limit for vehicles on UK roads, but your route might need careful planning. If the yards at either end are limited you could drive it the first/last bits.

Too high for what? Getting in or out of the yards?

There is no height limit for vehicles on UK roads, but your route might need careful planning. If the yards at either end are limited you could drive it the first/last bits.

That is correct, your vehicle load can be as high as you like.

However, conversely, there are no minimum heights for bridges, trees, cable etc.

Motorway bridges are generally 5.1m clear. But check your paint layers.

Mike

I would suggest the height issue may be with a high point of gravity, as your average rigid truck bed will be 1 meter plus.

I would go for it Bill, but organise a recovery policy in case.

The £150 spent of breakdown cover will be well worth it if you get stuck.

I purchased a Mk3 Militant Recovery from Withams some time ago. I drove it from Withams to Lymington (180 miles) then back to Kent (140 miles and then back to Lymington a couple of weeks later (140 miles. I then used it around the estate.

I moved it once and the steering pump seized. I had that repaired and then sold it to a chap who came to see it and wanted to take it home straight away to Essex (180 miles).

I said in all honesty the truck was in good condition but a trek to Essex is a fair drag for a 1970 vehicle.

By all accounts he nearly got home when the water pump decided to let go.

That just goes to show with these old vehicles you never really know what, if anything is going to go bang.

By the way, I felt a bit for the chap who purchased the Mk3 and tried to help him out with bits and info to effect a repair but I sold the truck in all good faith.

Markheliops

drive it, it will be an adventure to remember.

I drove a dodge back from amsterdam that we had just bought, it was scary, worrying and fun all at the same time :-) particularly the last 180 miles at night when we found out it was not charging!

I just remembered that when my brother bought the Militant, it came from Withams. it was one of twelve which had Atlas cranes fitted, and there were about another 60+ in the neighbouring yard, some with winches, some 6 x 6 some 6 x 4. He decided to get it delivered, and it came down on a trailer very similar to a Weeks 10 ton tilt bed, behind a rigid which was smaller than the Militant! I think it cost £100, but that was over 20 years ago. There shouldn't be a height problem as ours was 11'11" with the canvas hoops on, so unless a very high low loader trailer is used you should be fine for all the motorway bridges?

Jules

• 2 weeks later...