• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oooo. How about hot-air signals like smoke signals, or maybe bouncing the IR light from the cloud layer?

Or maybe microwave into the water droplets in the air (a poor mans troposcatter?)

All ingenious stuff Lauren but not that complicated (ah troposcatter & rain scatter used to do a lot of that on 10GHz used to get further than on 2 metres :D)

Balloon/aerostat with signal lamp?- I'm guessing it must have to be high up to get direct line of sight to the IR receiver.

Lauren you are getting complicated again, although the answer is buried amongst what you have said :D

Ok , so the beam or signal is pointed at the destination for troops and if the signal of sound gets broken or interrupted then they adjust their direction until they get a good signal again.... A bit like what bomber command used over Europe ?

Ok , so the beam or signal is pointed at the destination for troops and if the signal of sound gets broken or interrupted then they adjust their direction until they get a good signal again.... A bit like what bomber command used over Europe ?

I know what you are driving at Roy its not for that sort of purpose. Lauren was so very very close.

Lauren where were you thinking they would have a receiver?

Ah, good point - I'd assumed this was the receiver and there would be heat/IR from another source to pick up.

If this is a sender, could the receiver be as simple as a chap with IR goggles?

Don't understand Lauren. But did you see my second reply to your post on the previous page?

I was wondering if line of sight was achieved using underground pipe/tunnel. You mentioned "buried" and asked for more information when I mentioned mine marking, so I thought that had the makings of a Crafty Clive Clue™ :)

Ah, good point - I'd assumed this was the receiver and there would be heat/IR from another source to pick up.

"I'd assumed this was the receiver" In that case you have one well done Lauren! When I re-read it I wasn't sure which way round you had it. Up until now everyone seemed to assume this was an IR source of some sort :D

Aha, or bouncing the IR light off the underside of a balloon? Reciever on the ground. Kind of like satcomms :)

Edited by Lauren Child

"I'd assumed this was the receiver" In that case you have one well done Lauren! When I re-read it I wasn't sure which way round you had it. Up until now everyone seemed to assume this was an IR source of some sort :D

lol excellent? Now I'm confused - which bit did I get right :D