I was thinking along the lines of photographic, but it looks a little too compact for the era.

Yes not photographic Alec.

Could it be said the box contains an accumulator, feeding two devices/connections, actuated by a switch on a wander-lead? Alec.

Nearly, the box contains three "Q" inert cells & depending on the particular application feeding Cables, Nos. 6 to 10 at each end where there is a device with its own switch.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In light of some of your most resent objects no pun intended lighting for the officers loos

Interesting line of thought Wally. It's not that but intriguing none the less. I have never seen an recommendations for lighting these facilities, indeed tactically it would be undesirable to have lighting. So I imagine everyone would try to do what they can before sunset thereafter they have to do it in the dark :shake:

So the light is used during day light
Wally that's not necessarily the case here.

In respect of latrines there seems to be no illumination & indeed in some encampments they were out of bounds after dark & a night bucket was used.

To summarise, so far it is:

British

2-wheeled

No.5 Mk 1

Electrical

Steel box has 3 cells

3 lights of which one is moveable

Used statically

Not for convoy, horses, latrines, route or hazard marking

Well up to now i have thought on the lines that this would be taken on exercise to provide lighting would it be used around

a base where there would be mains power if so is it mobile inspection light of some sort

Wally not a general inspection light system. Although the moveable light has an individual function, it doubles up as a moveable inspection light for the equipment it is connected to.