42 Ford G8T help needed

phillip

Need some help finding all the weather stripping, fender gaskets, And the window moldings. I was told that no civilian trucks were made during the war years. In fact I was told by a place that sells body panels that the Military trucks were different from any thing else (I don't believe this) and that body panels weren't available. Any catalog you pick up starts at 47 and up, And no 1-1/2 ton trucks. I haven't found any info on this truck at all. I guess what I need to know is what year did this body style change, And IF in fact this truck is different from civilian trucks of the same year. Thanks in advance for any info y'all can shed on this.

1371502728_zps226f44d8.jpg

1371502710_zpsc30ec4a4.jpg

1371502715_zps0f2f4476.jpg

1371502695_zps74057376.jpg

1371502409_zps54f0d0b6.jpg

1371336604_zpsdf5f38ec.jpg

1371502317_zpsf0fbd216.jpg

Basics.......I paid 500.00 for the truck with no motor or tranny. No title, But I don't think that's going to be a big deal getting one. Military data plates say it was delivered to the Army on Dec. 15th 1941. The year model changed in November I'm told.

I plan on running a "late model" stock motor and tranny, Probably a 302. Mate those up with the OG banjo rear end. I understand about 50 is the top speed going this way, But it's a weekend warrior so it should be good to go.

Replumb the brakes using a modern master cyl. and booster (Already purchased from my local wrecking yard).

Fix the rust spots, Pound out the dings, A little bondo and go. OD green and possibly a white star on the doors.

I restored.....Actually closer to preserved, a 51 Farm All super A. But never a vehicle. I have average welding skills, No body working skills. Mechanically inclined and eager to learn. I don't plan on doing anything that can't be easily undone.

The level of the finished project will determine weather or not I invest in a period correct flat head and tranny for it.

What do y'all think?

It all sounds very good, try to keep us up to speed with your progress, we will follow this project with considerable interest. Good luck with the restoration, and I am sure that you will receive considerable help from the members of the forum.

So no body changes within those years? Is the cab and fenders the same as the 1/2 ton?

I'm not an expert on these trucks, if I were you I would seek advice on one of the dedicated Ford forums. But mass production methods and technologies was Ford's main contrubution to the WW2 effort, and special body panels for what were basically civilian trucks delivered under military contracts does not fit in Ford's philiosophy.

So, Ford's military trucks were really civilian trucks with a few mods like lighting, paint and in some cases a standardised military cargo body to make them suitable for military use.