Chieftain tank crew tent????

RattlesnakeBob

Question

I've just acquired a rather cracking looking tent...It's in it's own bag and has faded stencilling on the side

CSQN SQMC 9x9

It's in gorgeous condition complete with a bag of really heavy duty short steel pegs and also 3 small steel poles. (These poles don't look 'army sort of grade' though so may have been just shoved in the bag cos they looked sort of 'tenty' :) ) ... now.....I know where it's come from ...sort of. :)

...my cousin served for 12 years or so as a Chieftain driver in a Guards Regt from about 1978 through 'til about 1990 .....and I'm guessing he...ahem...'liberated' it at some point .. so can anyone tell me what it is ? I'm thinking a crew tent maybe?..it's difficult to see the shape of it without being able to hang it up somehow but it looks to be of a sort of 'lean to' design with zipped flaps at either end .?

Any ideas?...and whats it worth-ish?.....if I was to decide I got no use for it that is :)

What you have sounds very much like a crew shelter, issued to all Armoured vehicles and some B vehicles.

don't suppose you could point me in the direction of any photos??

I can't seem to find anything at the moment to give me an idea of what I might have :)

Can anyone who has one do a quick measurement of the poles? I have one but no poles to go with it.

no problem mate will do tomorrow....having seen the excellent pictures I can see where the 3 small poles go now...when I first looked at them I did think they couldn't be part if it but they obviously are.. :)

I'll measure them tomorrow for you :)

and Timbo!!! yes you are quite correct .....I really do need a tank! :) ...it'd be daft to now own a lovely tank crew tent and not have a tank to go with it ....:):):)

Can anyone who has one do a quick measurement of the poles? I have one but no poles to go with it.

Hey up . :)

..the poles are 20mm diameter X 515mm to the shoulder X 580mm overall including the 'pin' at the top and

they have a rubber / plastic 'foot' to stop them sinking into the ground.

hope that helps :)

Hey up . :)

..the poles are 20mm diameter X 515mm to the shoulder X 580mm overall including the 'pin' at the top and

they have a rubber / plastic 'foot' to stop them sinking into the ground.

hope that helps :)

Thanks Bob!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

bought a wolf 9x9 couple of years ago for under 400 quid my cvrt tent was 50 odd quid

I picked up a 12x12 but hadn't appreciated quite how big and unwieldy it was. The side tent looked like a quick and easy option for a weekend show.

I picked up a 12x12 but hadn't appreciated quite how big and unwieldy it was. The side tent looked like a quick and easy option for a weekend show.

If your going on your todd yes then a side tent would be o.k as a normal camp bed would fit long ways (by camp bed I don't mean the British Army type). My gut feeling is that erecting a side tent against erecting a 9 by 9 would be pretty close run thing, plus you can stand up in it.

12 by 12's way to big for a weekend perfect for a week away with friends

I've just acquired a rather cracking looking tent...It's in it's own bag and has faded stencilling on the side

CSQN SQMC 9x9

It's in gorgeous condition complete with a bag of really heavy duty short steel pegs and also 3 small steel poles. (These poles don't look 'army sort of grade' though so may have been just shoved in the bag cos they looked sort of 'tenty' :) ) ... now.....I know where it's come from ...sort of. :)

...my cousin served for 12 years or so as a Chieftain driver in a Guards Regt from about 1978 through 'til about 1990 .....and I'm guessing he...ahem...'liberated' it at some point .. so can anyone tell me what it is ? I'm thinking a crew tent maybe?..it's difficult to see the shape of it without being able to hang it up somehow but it looks to be of a sort of 'lean to' design with zipped flaps at either end .?

Any ideas?...and whats it worth-ish?.....if I was to decide I got no use for it that is :)

I can tell you the exact subunit: C Squadron (you may have worked that out!) of the Life Guards. Life Guards do not have sergeants because "sergeant" comes from the French for "servant" and LG serve only the sovereign. All NCO and warrant ranks in the LG are Corporals, so this bivvy was on the books of the Squadron Quartermaster Corporal of C Sqn The Life Guards.

Somebody has suggested that these bivvies are often called Scorpion Bivvies. In fact Scorpion (and CVR(T)) got their own, bespoke bivvies, similar in design but somewhat smaller (3-man as opposed to 4 in a Chieftain) and more waterproof. 15/19H Command Troop Sultans came with brand new CVR(T) bivvies about 1978, so that our rebro Ferrets acquired the old "acquired" Chieftain bivvies that had been acquired over the years for the Saracen ACVs. A 2-man Ferret crew in a 4-man Chieftain bivvy had more than enough room for beds, folding chairs and a coffee table.

;)

If you were ever on exercise with the RAC, a few decades ago at least, you'd be surprised what they managed to bring for comfort.

Someone on here whilst he served had a 434 and that nice little bit in the back wasn't used for anything oily. Anyone can slum it but why do so when you have your own home from home in the back