Re Spoked Wheels

Enfield 42

Hello fellow WD Owners, I am in the process of sorting out the wheels on my WDCO, and does anyone know how much roughly it is to re fit spokes. Also how much would you pay for galvanized spokes? Being new to this I am aware of how important sites like this are for information sharing, as I feel I take fifteen steps forward and twenty six back. Thanks for any help;)

I just got my guy in the New Forest to build two wheels with my own stainless spokes. He charged me £40 per wheel. Steel spokes will be over £50 set from 'Central wheels' or 'Devon Rims'. Ron

Hi Ron, I got them from central wheels Monday the spokes cost £40, I also bought some tyres from them too. Ray made both wheels up for for £50, he is helping me sort out the bike ready for the 70th next year. Thanks for the help Ron, hope to see you soon.:cheesy:

Hello, Can anyone tell me the easiest way to rub down and re paint my WD/C wheels, there is only surface rust as the bike has been in storage since the 1950's having been civilianised in 1946 and painted maroon and I can't see how I can rub down the spindle without dismantling the wheel, also can anyone tell me where I can find replacement rubber stops that stop the steering column hitting the metal stops. I am sorry if these sound like stupid questions but I am new to restoring bikes. regards Ian

Ian you can only rub down those wheels with hours of fiddly wet and dry paper. Best to remove the spindle and bearings, bung up the hub ( I use a small piece of plywood each side clamped through the empty hub with a piece of studding). Then get them grit blasted with medium grade grit.

The rubber bump doughnuts are easy. Get them from Jeff the rubber man at jeffalanhunter@aol.com

Ron

WDC 005.jpg

Many thanks for your advice, I think I will go down the blasting route and I think there are people around here that carry out that service, (Guildford). the tyres are still the WD ones so should I keep them (not to use) although they are pretty bald. Ian

I had that view at first to keep the original tyres on then after putting it back together, and riding it I got the bug to want to ride it more.... Then my story began of finding more bits, new spokes, tyres and now trying to find a better carb to make it run sweet!!! Riding a safe bike costs a lot of time and money. I found this an eye opener, and with the help from the forums it would have been a lot harder!

Ian you can only rub down those wheels with hours of fiddly wet and dry paper. Best to remove the spindle and bearings, bung up the hub ( I use a small piece of plywood each side clamped through the empty hub with a piece of studding). Then get them grit blasted with medium grade grit.

The rubber bump doughnuts are easy. Get them from Jeff the rubber man at jeffalanhunter@aol.com

Ron

Ron, your bike looks wonderful and if mine looks half as good as that when I have finished I shall be well pleased, Ian

Thanks Ian. It is a fact that if you concentrated on collecting just WD Enfields you could have a sizeable collection in its own right. I am part way there. But time, money, room and willpower will prevail. Coupled with the fact that some models were only produced for the WO in single figures, so not much chance of a full set I think. Ron