The War & Peace Revival 2013 Review

Tugger

I agree with Clive concerning the fairground that it was in the way - after all it could be placed in the far corner of the traders area where no one much bothered to go. If you wanted the fairground rides they wouldn't be far from the main buildings but as suggested the current site for the fair could then be used for something better.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid I have no idea what either of those two things are. The trouble is people will have quite divergent ideas as to what they like & want to see & what should be in a prestige position.

It's a WW2 truck with a feck off big gun on the back. Quite an impressive bit of kit. And I realize everyone has different tastes which is why I have said it should rotate, maybe on a half daily basis.

The Mack and Long Tom were in that area because the group that accompanied the owner had quite a few civilian vehicles and tents. In the old 'Americas field' this would have been OK, but as Kitchener's field was already full of dust and tumble weed a week before the show when they were staking a claim, they opted for camping where you spotted them.

Well this sort of confirms my point for the need to get the owner to properly display his impressive vehicle in a prominent position, even if it is only for the day. I agree with the rumblings that the Fair ground rides are a bit of a waste of time, I can't believe that it pays for them, half the number of rides would have been ample and then this would free up this area for some like I suggested above.

There were some interesting vehicles at the show that rarely get seen by the majority, I think mainly because they are not involved in a re-enactment group, who seem to take priority over individuals displaying there vehicles.

Hickjc

Edited by hickjc

My view is that the fairground should have been swapped with the traders thus leading the public from fair ground to traders to MV's and then onto reenactments etc

Also include free or very cheap MV's as a bus tours so as the older or lazy public etc can see all of the show with various stop off points along the way.

For the general public the funfair was a bit of fun close to the food, arena, and entertainment tents making a good family centre of the show. I quite liked that. What I did see was a problem was getting to the vehicles.

The fair was only small, but without any maps or signposts the first you saw of the vehicles was in the distance behind the living history (which in turn was difficult to get through) so the vehicles felt quite cut-off from the show.

Personally I'd start the vehicles closer to the entrance so you see the way around at the same time you see the family centre. That would make it easy to work out where to go. Walk in through the gate - turn right for shops, turn left for vehicles, go ahead for the arena, family zone & living history - there's an immediate mental allocation of areas within the show.

Speaking as someone who takes a 'Modern' ex military vehicle (1958) and an undisguised 'Motorhome'; I had a fantastic 7 days.

I and my disabled son once again enjoyed the friendly atmosphere, the huge amount of support in restoring our MK1 ex Navy Bedford CA and the easy going happy to chat feeling the show generates.

We liked the toilets, the showers, the new showground the good organization and helpful staff/marshals.

The 'Spitfire' tea room is the best place we have ever been and at every visit we felt underdressed. I hated it when blokes wandered in without a shirt on and then leaned on both elbows over the counter.

The Vintage Village was brilliant and worked so well tying in the scale aircraft and WW2 dioramas etc. It is a great area to develop

We didn't much like the amount of walking we had to do. A hop on/off bus/truck would stop a lot of people driving around. Frankly I didn’t blame them. It took us about an hour to go and get our milk in the morning from the only ‘Camp’ shop that was just a little bit expensive because it was the ‘only’ shop. While it is great to be able to order a newspaper it did cost 40% more that Mr. Murdock wanted to sell it for. Why was there only one shop?

Prices did seem to change during the week?????????????

Beer was expensive although it was good to have the choice of bars and the entertainment was excellent.

We can’t understand how people can destroy toilet blocks and then complain about ‘filth’ We know, having spoken to staff, that many of them were cleaned hourly. We can only blame ourselves for any failings there. However me and my lad had no problems and found the blocks to be clean and well supplied.

The trading areas seemed cramped and scattered.

Why was the funfair pride of place.?

On booking in; might not that be the best time to suggest where vehicles might be best displayed.? Also it is an ideal opportunity for someone who knows to pick out vehicles of special interest and arrange arena/static display times/areas

I just aimed for quiet camping and we were the furthest point from anywhere.

It did appear to us that with all this extra space it was just filled up and areas didn’t seem very ‘Joined-up’ with one another.

I was temporarily confused that some people seemed to leave on the Friday but then I realized that if they had arrived the previous Friday then they had enjoyed the opportunity to see everything and chat to everyone in a relaxed atmosphere before the ‘loud’ weekend tourists turned up. The downside of mixing ‘purists’ and the braying/paying public

All in all it was fabulous and we both loved it to bits and can’t wait for next year.

OK. That explains why on the WW re-enacting forum they said it was a he not a she. More of a juicy story for the tabloids if it gets that far. The story does make no sense whatsoever. Why would you buy a deactivated pyro. A badly written load of tripe.

I do have the full info from the trader that the pyro was purchased from but won't go into it here as now subject the HSE inquiry... I can say though that Tim/Sarah is (supposed to be) Pyro trained & should know better..

04:15 http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b037b0h1/South_East_Today_24_07_2013/

Not sure what that's got to do it with it Lee?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

I was pointing out that the person involved was Tim Bluck, many knew her/him by that name as he has been about for many years on the MV scene

I was pointing out that the person involved was Tim Bluck, many knew her/him by that name as he has been about for many years on the MV scene

It seems pretty close to personal information, that's all. I'm sure anyone close would have noticed, and it doesn't seem relevant to the story.

It seems pretty close to personal information, that's all. I'm sure anyone close would have noticed, and it doesn't seem relevant to the story.

Hmmm she has offered herself up to the press, papers & TV, can't see what the problem is???? I know Sarah personally through the MV scene as do many others on here, she doesn't hide away what she's had done so I can't see your point?

if you want to discuss this further then please PM me.

Hmmm she has offered herself up to the press, papers & TV, can't see what the problem is???? I know Sarah personally through the MV scene as do many others on here, she doesn't hide away what she's had done so I can't see your point?

if you want to discuss this further then please PM me.

Ok fair enough, I didn't know and I figured it wasn't information she'd want up on here.

Hello all,

Have been watching the thread with interest.

I did not attend as an exhibitor this year for family reasons. However, having attended the previous site some 14 times, I thought attending as an MOP this year would at least be better than not at all.

Firstly, let me say that I consider Mr Cadman and the team pulled-off a superb feat organising the event , with several aspects better than the previous venue.

Like it or not however, there were other aspects of the show which just did not seem to work - for me anyway. I can fully sympathise with the scale of the challenges and pressures faced by the organisers however, after 30 or so years of practice at the other site, it would be nice to see key aspects of the show being safeguarded (easy access around the show, arena size / viewing etc).

However, what is needed, is to provide as much constructive feedback / suggestions as possible. This thread is a great start and am sure the team are already considering the lessons learnt.

I will certainly be back for second-helpings next year J

A few hours ago I emailed Rex with my comments positive & negative.

Within a short time I received a courteous & comprehensive reply that was most reassuring & looks to address most of the points raised by others as well.

post it up so we all can have a look!:D

Sorry I'm reluctant to do that as I think it was private correspondence. On a completely unrelated matter I recently had a letter published that I had assumed was private correspondence, so I don't wish do a similar thing.

I don't mean that to sound stuffy but I'm sure if you wrote to Rex he would be able answer your concerns.