Panzer IV at Munster Tank Museum

ajmac

I was looking for info on Munsters new Tiger 1 exhibit and located this interesting video on their Panzer IV driving around on an open day. You don't hear an original Pz IV very often so I thought I would post a link to the HD video.....I think they need a new set of rings ;)

[video=youtube_share;LyHSdKKtM7U]

Edited by ajmac

Pzkw-IV-Sturmy_Parola-cut open-small.jpgThe drivers position on the restored one in Poland looks very strange. Compare that to the period shot of another Sturmgeschütz.

I know from personal experience that getting in- and out of the original drivers position in a Sturmgeschütz is difficult. I am 179 cm tall and really had to struggle. I tried out the different positions in the Sturmgeschütz exhibited at the Parola armored museum in Finland. Perhaps the extension was meant to provide more room for the drivers?

This Sturmegschütz was driven into this position in 1967, according to my sources. It was then cut open cut reveal the inside. Visitors could climb on board until the "Sturmy" (The Finnish crews name for it) was moved a number of years ago.

Pzkw-IV-Sturmy_Poland-period-small.jpg

Goran N

Pzkw-IV-Sturmy_Poland-small.jpg

Edited by GoranWC51

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79018[/ATTACH]The drivers position on the restored one in Poland looks very strange. Compare that to the period shot of another Sturmgeschütz.

board until the "Sturmy" (The Finnish crews name for it) was moved a number of years ago.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79016[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]79017[/ATTACH]

Goran N

Different types of vehicle. Middle one is a IV, the top and bottom are III.

German armor is, obviously, not my forte.... I saw doing a quick Google check that the Pzkw IV Sturmgeschütz obviously had the extension above the drivers position, with access hatch on top.

You learn something every day =)

Goran N