3HW union sizes

agmerlin

Help!

I'm trying to work out what the union sizes are on the 3HW oil tank? I need to know what it should be for the breather on the top of the tank and also the sizes of the pipe unions that join the pipes to the bottom of the tank. I suspect that at some point mine has had different unions fitted because the new filter union outlet union does fit the existing pipe union.

Andy

Not sure what you mean by pipe unions for the oil lines? The Triumph oil pipes are just pushed onto tube spigots with ferrules to keep the rubber pipes tight. The breather on top has an acorn nut (I guess 1/4 BSP) and a thin pipe 3/16" OD that is poked in the hole at the top of saddle tube......Helps to stop the frame rusting from the inside out!!

Pictures shown are a 5SW, But they're all about the same. Threaded unions would be post war I guess? Ron

5SW 132.jpg

5SW 134.jpg

Edited by Ron
after thought

You've probably got a postwar oil filter on there. Instead of the feed pipe slipping over the filter exit (as on Ron's bike) the postwar bikes had a filter that ended in a threaded union (BSP) with a nut and spigot on the pipe - it made it easier to clean the filter. On the return line however all should be exactly the same as pictured

Thanks for the help guys, it looks like Stefano is right in that the pipes on the bottom of the tank have been modified to accept unions. Can't really tell if they are recent mods or if they were done many years ago. If you zoom in on the attached photo you will see what I mean.

many thanks

Andy

image.jpg