leyland daf 8x6 drops info

Not getting into safe or not debate. But a few things to bear in mind for use in the States. As far as I know the bulk of the states have a lot less weight limit per axle than UK. Also bear in mind your height limits the drops with rack on is very high. By the way I am not anti drops I think the truck is very well designed engineered truck it just has very specific uses in its drops roll but can have lots of other uses

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still doing the here we go moment...

as I said all vehicles given the right incentive will topple over, simple as, speed is and always will be the most significant factor on a normal road...loading and type of vehicle will always be a factor but a stable truck when stationary can only be made unstable if a force acts upon it...movement is the major force. Combine that movement with an additional force, ie a change in directions, and you get newtons first law a body will continue in a straight line until a force is applied to it...if the only force is the friction of the wheels turning said vehicle the top will continue straight, hence the topple..its pretty basic physics...slow down...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG4VtbRpfyo

the second series is very interesting....

I should add that there is no such thing as centrifugal force, it is newtons first law of motion that causes the roll over...

I should add that there is no such thing as centrifugal force, first true word you have said its centripetal

al

Edited by cosrec

Centrifugal Force - The False Force

An evil word has worked its way into our daily vocabulary, and with it, an incorrect understanding of the way physics works. "Centrifugal Force" ( Latin for "center fleeing") is often used to describe why mud gets spun off a spinning tire, or water gets pushed out of the clothes during the spin dry cycle of your washer. It is also used to describe why we tend to slide to the outer side of a car going around a curve. It is a common explanation...the only problem is all of it is absolutely wrong!!! Centrifugal force does not exist...there is no such thing...it is a ghost we tend to blame odd behavior on.

Take for example this common situation. You are riding in a car going around a curve. Sitting on your dashboard is a cassette tape. As you go around the curve, the tape moves to outside edge of the car. Because you don't want to blame it on ghosts, you say "centrifugal force pushed the tape across the dashboard."--wwrroonngg!! When we view this situation from above the car, we get a better view of what is really happening. The animation below shows both views at the same time. The top window shows you the bird's eye view of the car and the tape, while the bottom window shows you the familiar view from the passenger.

casette.gif

The car tires on the road have a enough static friction to act as centripetal force which forces the car to go around the curve. The tape on the slippery dashboard does not have enough friction to act as a centripetal force, so in the absence of a centripetal force the tape follows straight line motion. The car literally turns out from underneath the tape, but from the passenger's point of view it looks as though something (a ghost force?) pushed the tape across the dashboard. If the car you are riding in has the windows rolled down, then the tape will leave the car (or does the car leave the tape?) as it follows its straight line path. If the windows are rolled up, then the window will deliver a centripetal force to the tape and keep it in a circular path.

Any time the word Centrifugal Force is used, what is really being described is a Lack-of-Centripetal Force.

One thing in life that counts massively is experience and time spent over many years doing a particular thing , Don't think credit Is being given to the guys with specific drops knowledge on this subject , no questioning really as they know and seen what they are talking about after many years using the drops . Whether people are already carrying 432s with no problems to date isn't a argument to say it no problem to do so , good sensible driving may getting by and may be ok and we worrying about nothing but maybe if a emergency situation arises with another vehicle then a border line load like a 432 may show the trucks unsuitability and weakness to carry it . For me a 432 on a Daf drops don't look comfortable sat up there and if it don't look right then usually it ain't right , I personally and again only my opinion would not be at ease with one on my drops on the road especially relying on stupid car drivers not to ruin my journey . You do have to to give the army some credit and if they didn't do it then maybe there really was a reason not too . But most important is that for anyone using a drops like this please be careful and remember that no matter how safe and good a driver you think you are being other road users can change that in a split second and with a truck that's border line and close to its capabilities then it's more likely to be a bad ending .

martin

Edited by martinsaunders06

One thing in life that counts massively is experience and time spent over many years doing a particular thing , Don't think credit Is being given to the guys with specific drops knowledge on this subject , no questioning really as they know and seen what they are talking about after many years using the drops . Whether people are already carrying 432s with no problems to date isn't a argument to say it no problem to do so , good sensible driving may getting by and may be ok and we worrying about nothing but maybe if a emergency situation arises with another vehicle then a border line load like a 432 may show the trucks unsuitability and weakness to carry it . For me a 432 on a Daf drops don't look comfortable sat up there and if it don't look right then usually it ain't right , I personally and again only my opinion would not be at ease with one on my drops on the road especially relying on stupid car drivers not to ruin my journey . You do have to to give the army some credit and if they didn't do it then maybe there really was a reason not too . But most important is that for anyone using a drops like this please be careful and remember that no matter how safe and good a driver you think you are being other road users can change that in a split second and with a truck that's border line and close to its capabilities then it's more likely to be a bad ending .

martin

Well said Martin, The army had every intention of using the things in anger I can imagine why they would see the 432 as trouble, a fully kitted 432 is likely to be well over 15 tons, the rack is only designed for 15 tons so its outside the limits already.... Today we have to follow load limits and the 432 is very close to the limit load wise...carry it with knowledge not an assumption, ie have the load weighbridged. I have said this over and over again. if your over the limit your off the road...

Al, i explained about the force that tips a lorry over a long time ago in my comments, as with all people who think they know it all they fail to read the full story...well, that's because they know it all...that is the real route to disaster...

You should know better than most cosrec as you must have seen loads of roll overs...how many have been DROP's carrying a 432.

But you still do not read all of the posts which makes me wonder..can you do the maths to prove centrifugal force does not exist...or is it just more text book responses..

I will guarantee that this thread will have taught a lot of people that 432 DROP combination is close to the limit and needs checking...some will take heed some will not...but those who have read it will not be able to forget it anymore and just may drive that bit safer...

QED...I rest my case...

Edited by paulob1

in reply to datadawg, the majority of plant and vehicles moved on the roads today are done so by lowloaders, its the safest way full stop, if your worried about reversing a trailer then fit a jaw to the front of your vehicle, it is then made a lot simpler, if you have to buy and store a trailer it makes it more inconvenient for you but a hell of a lot safer, you should also note from reading this thread, and please do so from the start or you will incur the wrath of paulnob1 that his views are in a distinct minority, finally a plant trailer or lowboy as you call them over there have a multitude of other uses so you might get more out of it than you think.

As a daily low loader driver, might I suggest a toilet roll is kept in the cab for these loads.:-D

I think experience in the trenches counts for a lot. If someone hauling loads for a living is discouraging me, I have to listen. I am not as skilled as the guy in the video below: ;)

in reply to datadawg, the majority of plant and vehicles moved on the roads today are done so by lowloaders, its the safest way full stop, if your worried about reversing a trailer then fit a jaw to the front of your vehicle, it is then made a lot simpler, if you have to buy and store a trailer it makes it more inconvenient for you but a hell of a lot safer, you should also note from reading this thread, and please do so from the start or you will incur the wrath of paulnob1 that his views are in a distinct minority, finally a plant trailer or lowboy as you call them over there have a multitude of other uses so you might get more out of it than you think.

Thanks, I did read every post with forensic attention. I understand the physics behind most people's concerns about the DROPs, and that lower center of gravity is safer on turns. But I still thought DROPS would be safer in stopping, since you have a rigid platform that won't jack knife. I realize there are myriad of other factors (securing load, axle weight, loading/unloading), so maybe I should just drive my vehicles to where ever I plan to go :D

I carry my ot-90 (12.5 ton) ish.. on my drops, this year i checked the load axle weights on the mot brake test sheet and no 3 axle was approx 50-100 kilo under the max axle loads (but! the vosa test stations brake test rollers/computer are a bit hit and miss! and not very accurate as they change every year) i drive sensibly everywhere in my drops and am very aware of its limits and capabilities when loaded. ok so an ot-90 is a lot lower but wider and lighter than a 432.. just depends on the axle loading at the end of the day and the driver..

Thanks, I did read every post with forensic attention. I understand the physics behind most people's concerns about the DROPs, and that lower center of gravity is safer on turns. But I still thought DROPS would be safer in stopping, since you have a rigid platform that won't jack knife. I realize there are myriad of other factors (securing load, axle weight, loading/unloading), so maybe I should just drive my vehicles to where ever I plan to go :D

Unless you need the off road capability a DROPS is the wrong vehicle of choice, a simple beavertail 8x4 would be lighter and the load bed lower than a DROPS.

You could PM Bran D on here as he has carried a Saladin on his DROPS for a number of years, I'm sure he would share his knowledge with you. http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?48708-Alvis-Saladin

To datadawg see height limit in Pennsilvania is 13' 6" drops with a fox or the one with turret on would be touch and go You would have to check but I believe weight limit on rear tandams with single rear wheels would be down around 24,000 lbs.

I don't Paul - that is the responsibility of the driver. Usually they use cross-chains fore and aft onto the OT's towing eyes. Seen them use ratchet straps over the tracks on the centre line a couple times too. But usually it is just cross-chained. Never seen it move yet. :-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I have to agree with you re the low loader it is by far the better load carrier for our types of loads. Trouble is they have loads of expense associated with them and add yet another complexity to the issue of MVT ownership...and unless you are a haulier they are difficult to justify...20-30k for a low loader for my chieftain just isn't worth it...

I am just pondering the question, do I go for a full 70 ton jobby for the chieftain or stick with a tri-axle 48 tonner on air, or even smaller, something that would carry everything I will ever need to carry except the chieftain...

Just buy a HET, you know you want one ;)

They are now being routinely sold on GL and other auctions in USA. I have to imagine the sale price is less than 10 cents on the dollar of what Uncle Sam paid. But you still need a step deck or lowboy trailer, correct? Here's a current auction...

http://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/Trucks-Conventional-Tractor-1994-Oshkosh-M1070-8x8-HET-Truck-Wisconsin/549564?h=5000%2Cct%7C30%2Cc%7C2866&rr=0.07692&hitprm=c%3D2866,ct%3D30&pnLink=yes

Edited by datadawg

Every time my OT travels it hangs over the side of the trailer. Usually the road wheels are "just" on the edge of the trailer.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Here is a military trailer that will fit 10 foot wide MV. My guess it was made for tank hauling. Cost Uncle Sam $229K, sold for $36K... http://www.govplanet.com/jsp/s/item/549273?kwtag=p13n-V&h=