leyland daf 8x6 drops info

Hello Adrian, more excellent photos-not heard or seen the SRTE vehicles before, sounds like a proper boys toy :cheesy:

If you navigate back to the main forum and click on Restoration Blogs you should see one called 87 ET 77 Militant on the first page-that's mine which I am slowly working on. I have yet to find any service info about it, contacted REME but no results-will try RLC next. If you Google image search the civilian rev BHH 34J there are some historic post service photos.

Regards

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow what a beauty! They really are good looking vehicles that ticks all the boxes for me. I would love one but its the keeping of it and upkeep if things go wrong, probably wrong outlook I suppose. Had a look on a website that was advertising one for approx 9000k, it looked really good but all that shines may not be to my eye! Let me know how your getting on in putting the old girl back on the road.

Wow what a beauty! They really are good looking vehicles that ticks all the boxes for me. I would love one but its the keeping of it and upkeep if things go wrong, probably wrong outlook I suppose. Had a look on a website that was advertising one for approx 9000k, it looked really good but all that shines may not be to my eye! Let me know how your getting on in putting the old girl back on the road.

I'm lucky enough to have a large transport depot behind where I work so can work on the truck most days, weather permitting! Fingers crossed the running costs won't be too much with the right care & my works contacts (I'm an hgv maintenance manager). If it was on Milweb then it may be one I have seen before it went to Dave Crouch's. Very clean if so.

• 2 weeks later...

ok cool, cheers wally..

is there any way of finding out its unit history etc?

NICK it is the bridge plate it has nothing to do with the unit identity only the vehicle weights as said previously

took my daf with my ot-90 on it for a spin, it was 25 deg out side and the temp gauge went up to about 110 deg on the gauge, but didnt blow steam etc.. is this normal crappy leyland gauges or should i worry?

any one know what the temp gauge normally reads when loaded heavily?

Yours was hardly loaded heavily, they were designed to tow a trailer with a second loaded pallet at a gross weight of over 50 tons. Either it is overheating due to low coolant, a clogged radiator, fan clutch u/s, failed thermostat or you have a faulty gauge or sender unit giving false readings. If you have access to a spare instrument cluster, the gauges are all interchangeable with the exception of the voltage one.

Fan clutch - very common as mine and 3 other trucks I know had fan probs . Easiest way to check is to drain truck of all air and grab hold of fan blades and try to rotate fan - with no air the fan should be locked solid and if it is you then start truck and build up air - initially fan will roar (fan clutch locked up) until approx 5bar ish and then as pressure rises it will release and free wheel . Fan clutch / engine temp is controlled via air shut off thermostat in top cooling pipe . I would guess your fan free wheels with no air in system and hence free wheels regardless of temp like mine used too until I repaired it .

• 7 months later...

My daf just failed its mot on brakes, so took all wheels and hubs off, cleaned,checked and re adjusted, drums and shoes are not that old by the looks of them all..

It failed at 45% service brake efficiency the first time and now has failed at 45% service brakes again after clean and adjust etc! also some wheels did not 'lock' the 1st time and now those that did, now dont! wtf?

Any one got any ideas please?