leyland daf 8x6 drops info

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks paul.. just an idea to put my ot-90 on one, but if the rack is 20x8 ft then its not gonna fit lol and reading the other posts about the daf drops sounds a bit scary to put vehicles on them ..lol

Thinking about buying something like a drops/lowloader for transporting her around to the shows, may save me money in the long run... any other ideas guys? my ot-90 measures 6.75 mtr x 2.95 mtr, track outside width is 2.870 mtr/inside is 2207, weight 12.5 tonne..

Cheers.

Edited by ot-90

Theres nothing wrong with putting vehicles on them provided that the axle weights are not exceeded and you can get sufficient restraint in place to ensure that you dont do any impromptu unloading. Your 2ft extra should not be too much of a problem for loading/unloading as long as the load stays clear of the deck when it goes to the max angle.

At 12.5t I think you would need to do your sums on axle loadings and also you would need to give careful thought about Cof G.

So - I think it might be possible but as you have to test and plate the thing plus drive it on a cat C I would have thought that there were much better (and cheaper) options, even if they might be non-military. A decent 6x2 plant truck with a beavertail can have a gross vehicle weight of 26t and in most cases that means a 13t payload (maybe a bit more). Plus it will cost a bit less than a DROPS to buy and run. A years private LGV road tax is 165 quid, although your insurance could be a bit tasty (but then so would a DROPS if you were honest injun and declared that you were using it laden).

I would even sell you a suitable vehicle but the Iveco I have is only plated at 11t gross (damm!!) ..........

hmm yea it could be more hassle than its worth..cheers for the info tho..

Just a pipe dream atm :-)

Will see about insurance etc in the future.

Should be no problem with insurance for a historic military vehicle carrying another historic military vehicle as long as all the legal weight requirements are met. Fuel consumption on Drops would be a drawback compared to a commercial rigid.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
so what is the average mpg of a drops? and prices to buy?, would prefer a pre 1989 iveco,daf,man etc,still looking into the idea, looking at a tatra 8x8 to convert also and comparing them all..

6mpg on average but then I don't carry anything heavy , maybe 7 down hill with wind behind . 40 mph is 2000-2100 rpm

so road speed to rpm ain't great if you want to travel distance . Martin

• 2 weeks later...

cheers martin..

I drove one the other day around the guys yard and got taken out for a spin on the road and i must say apart from the bounciness unladen, it was easy to drive and fairly comfortable!

have you had any problems with yours?

any thing special i should look for when viewing one?

• 2 weeks later...

Well done ot-90 , mine came from Dave Crouch and after a few teething problems it's now a great truck , so easy to drive and it also feels nice to drive and nothing like a big truck, tho like you say suspension bit hard with no weight . Check your tyre pressures as mine were really hard when I got it . ? Is there any rot in the wings, how many Km s has it done on release papers and do you know with whom it served as I was lucky less than 50,000km and a RAF detachment .

Is it mot'd and got a tacho fitted ?. .more pics please when it arrives

martin

so what teething problems did you have?

no rot in the wings apart from one rear one has had a plate welded, cab is good with a little surface rust on roof as usual, will sort that with a little blasting and paint job one day..

its coming with two racks, 4 x very good rear tyres fitted and a spare! took some bargaining to get that lot lol.

its done 127k but seems to be original and not messed about, the engine is good and started with little black and no blue smoke, the batteries were flat but it jumped first crank. Need to test the batts and gel charge them i believe? all dash gauges work ok, same with hydraulics etc.

No idea which regiment it came from as yet? how can i find out?

No mot or uk registration as yet and no tacho either, will do all that myself, can get second hand tacho ok but the wiring and hall sensor may be more tricky? got any ideas?

went to withams (spit) and got fobbed off with a load of bolloxs from their so called salesman ' we have five available'! BS they had one and that was ****ed! dave was hard to deal with but came round on my second visit..lol

More pics on tuesday when it arrives

nice truck and the right machine for what you want...I have had two stalwarts on mine, one on the bed the other on the trailer, not a single problem...with my mtlb on the bed it is perfect too...have run her with the MTLB and the stalwart on the trailer without any issues...

you wont have CG problems unless you drive it like a loon....the only issue I have is the retard button, it needs to be on the dashboard...they run sweet, drive sweet but keep your eye on gearbox temps when heavily loaded or going up hills, and dont panic when the fan comes on as the temp rises going up a steep hill, you will think the engine is about to explode but it isnt...

never done any more than 6mpg and never any less than 5 mpg, even fully loaded as above...

the old foden GS I have with 340 bhp eagle, does around 8-9, and the Foden GS with the 220 engine does well into the 9's...although not done enough miles in her to confrim this...

They may have been built by Leyland DAF at Leyland but the development work was all done by Scammell at Watford. The contract however was with Leyland DAF so fair to say that they should wear the L/D badge.

Maybe not Leyland DAFDont think they were a company then. The contract was with British Leyland one of the companies in that organisation was Scammell. I understand it was a political desion to badge them as Leyland. There were built at Watford and the trials vehicles were badged as Scammell (in fact i have somwhere aScammell badge that was was on one of the pre production models))

I am sute someone with more knowledge will be along later