IX Troop Carrier Command vehicle markings

Welbourn

Being a Troop Carrier aficionado, I'm looking to mark my 41 Chrysler Royal staff car up to represent a vehicle from the 9th USAAF's IX Troop Carrier Command HQ during their Dec 43-Sep 44 stint in Grantham, Lincs.

I'd welcome anyone's thoughts as to what the appropriate markings ought to be, but I'm thinking:

9 * IX TCC HDQ

or

9 * 9TCC HQ2

Obviously HQ2 could be HQ1 or 3 etc.

The Dodge command car from the 437th TCG pictured below wore:

9TCC * 437TCG HDQ

Anyone got any idea about appropriate bonnet No's for such a vehicle? At the moment is has none but it previously had a 6 figure No starting 112. It certainly looked appropriate but who knows, someone out there does I'm sure!

Cheers,

WC 437th.jpg

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]T214[/TD]

[TD]WC-56[/TD]

[TD]1942[/TD]

[TD]W-20167957 to W-20182608[/TD]

[TD]W-398-QM-11422[/TD]

[TD]¾t 4x4 98[/TD]

[TD]81529001[/TD]

[TD]14652[/TD]

[TD]Reconnaissance less Winch[/TD]

[TD]D-10483[/TD]

[TD]10-1530[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]T214[/TD]

[TD]WC-56[/TD]

[TD]1942[/TD]

[TD]2091084 to 2092118[/TD]

[TD]W-398-QM-13596[/TD]

[TD]¾t 4x4 98[/TD]

[TD]81534381[/TD]

[TD]1035[/TD]

[TD]Command[/TD]

[TD]D-10534[/TD]

[TD]10-1530[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Anywhere in that lot, but not in the first five thousand or so as it isn't an early one in the photo.

My WC56 was 20177279 ( I think ) from July '42 and was earlier than the image.

Thanks Gordon,

Actually my message reads a bit ambiguously. I was referring to bonnet No's for the Chrysler but I can see why you thought the Dodge. Interesting all the same but apologies for that.

Cheers,

Thanks Gordon,

Actually my message reads a bit ambiguously. I was referring to bonnet No's for the Chrysler but I can see why you thought the Dodge. Interesting all the same but apologies for that.

Cheers,

Welbourn

Have you tried the G503,com Staff Car Forum with this query ?

sk

Thanks Gordon,

Cheers,

Ah, no problem, silly me. The thought did flash past after I posted that.

Your hood number would have to be USA 20xxxxx I think. It is slightly too late for the W prefix, needs to be 20 prefix for passenger carrying vehicle, and I'm sure would be seven numerals long, including the 20, in 1942.

Sorry to contradict you Gordon but I believe the prefix should be 1. It would not be incorrect to prefix the #1 with the letter W as this was phased out gradually towards the end of WW2. As to the no of figures following the #1 I have seen in service photos with 4 numbers following the #1 (ie five figures in total) According to Bart most vehicles were 1941/42 models and all production ended in February 1942, the Army then bought 29,000 vehicles frozen in dealers stocks, this happened in late 1942.

Well...

I've never noticed a '1' prefix, but then I've never owned any staff cars.

The 'W' is easier to define, as it was dropped for space reasons when the serials became too long for large characters and had to go down to smaller ones to fit them all in.

There's a prefix list somewhere in Crismon or Vanderveen, just not got my copy handy - anyone?

Somewhere in the mass photo collection that Brian Valente printed for you of Max Demuth's black and white photographs was a picture of a Dodge Weapons Carrier (from memory) loaded with 437th TCG guys. This photograph showed the bumper stencils and although will give you an insight in to what a 437th vehicle should wear, I guess won't help much on the Grantham HQ's front. Check through your photos though and see if you cant find the one I'm referring to.

Well...

I've never noticed a '1' prefix, but then I've never owned any staff cars.

The 'W' is easier to define, as it was dropped for space reasons when the serials became too long for large characters and had to go down to smaller ones to fit them all in.

There's a prefix list somewhere in Crismon or Vanderveen, just not got my copy handy - anyone?

Hi Gordon

Page #8 Vanderveen states 1 Cars, passenger, 2 to 7 passenger (sedan)

20 Trucks, reconnaissance, all sizes (incl. carryall etc) and buses.

As Bart includes buses under the prefix 20 perhaps this is why you thought all passenger carrying vehicles used the 20 prefix.

I haven't got Fred Crismon's book so can't double check, perhaps somebody else can chip in with his listing.