Any tricks to increase a Diamond T's top speed by a few miles?

Sam;

When it was stated that the rear differential is put in reversed to the front, it is the whole axle assembly that was turned around, hence the offset with the driveshaft from the leading axle to the rear axle. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in as to why this was done. The same holds true for the M1A1.

John G

Sam;

When it was stated that the rear differential is put in reversed to the front, it is the whole axle assembly that was turned around, hence the offset with the driveshaft from the leading axle to the rear axle. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in as to why this was done. The same holds true for the M1A1.

John G

Hi John,

This would have been done to ensure that the drive joints articulate as they rotate. It is bad engineering design to use these joints in a situation where they run in line as the rollers would indent on the bearing paths.

Richard

Guys,

many thanks for reacting to my question and for coming up with answers and suggestions(I somehow was not subscribed to it so was not aware of any replies)!

In the meantime we already discussed what we could do and have decided that pushing the T over it's (mechanical) boundaries is not the way to go. Instead, the 981 will be kept 100% original :)

Cheers again,

Marco

As an addendum,

I checked my M1A1 manual and I can see that the rear diff is around the other way. That would mean that the pinion gear would at the rear of the housing on the rear diff, but at the front of the housing on the forward diff. I just learned something!!!

And the slight angle in the drive shaft can be seen and makes sense.

Have a nice day.

Sam.

hi, in response to the previous letter the hercules engine revved at a maximum of 1600 which at normal road speed ie 23 miles an hour gave an output of 201 bhp, the army introduced in the fifties the rolls royce c6 143 series direct injection engine which pushed the road speed up to 29 miles an hour but kept the same amount of torque for the differentials, as was quoted quite rightly by the previous letter be happy to plod along at 23 miles an hour and enjoy it, all the best tony g.

My Rolls engined T is still happy at 29mph, even after all these years.

If speed over a long distance is required then i look for a low-loader.

The convoy events i`ve done in Suffolk, they stick me in front so everyone does 29mph, also if the T fits through the gap then everyone else does too!