Plight of our Normandy memorial tanks

Having just returned from a fantastic trip to the Normandy beaches I felt I must raise the issue of the state of some of the tanks used as memorials. It is very noticeable that anything American is well looked after, whereas the British tanks at best need a lick of paint and at worst are steadily rotting away! In particular the Churchill tank Charlie 1 which is an actual D Day tank is rusting badly! As is the one at Hill 112, What can be done? I,ve no idea who actually looks after them?

Having just returned from a fantastic trip to the Normandy beaches I felt I must raise the issue of the state of some of the tanks used as memorials. It is very noticeable that anything American is well looked after, whereas the British tanks at best need a lick of paint and at worst are steadily rotting away! In particular the Churchill tank Charlie 1 which is an actual D Day tank is rusting badly! As is the one at Hill 112, What can be done? I,ve no idea who actually looks after them?

You will probably find the British Army in Normandy next year just prior to D-Day, are out with their paint pots going over these tanks, I recollect in the past at the big anniversary years that Charlie 1 and one several others had the treatment.

You will probably find the British Army in Normandy next year just prior to D-Day, are out with their paint pots going over these tanks, I recollect in the past at the big anniversary years that Charlie 1 and one several others had the treatment.

Give it a few more years then and they wont need the paint, just brushes to sweep up the rust!!!!

Sad case for these beautiful and memorial vehicles!

I shall put the word out as the group who helped organised to put that tank in place, the then Solent area of MVT now SOE (as in Overlord show). i remember the dedication ceremony well as it poured with rain! Our eldest son, Jack, was a babe in arms, he's now 13 (and a half!!)

I shall put the word out as the group who helped organised to put that tank in place, the then Solent area of MVT now SOE (as in Overlord show). i remember the dedication ceremony well as it poured with rain! Our eldest son, Jack, was a babe in arms, he's now 13 (and a half!!)

She doesn't hang about! Word is already out in our Facebook group. I'm happy to get a group together - joint SOE and MVT members, to spend a few days doing the job properly so that the tank is good for both the 70th and the 75th anniversaries.

PM Rosie or myself if this is something you would like to get involved in - we will have a messy few days with compressors, needle guns, paint and stencils :)

She doesn't hang about! Word is already out in our Facebook group. I'm happy to get a group together - joint SOE and MVT members, to spend a few days doing the job properly so that the tank is good for both the 70th and the 75th anniversaries.

PM Rosie or myself if this is something you would like to get involved in - we will have a messy few days with compressors, needle guns, paint and stencils :)

Like the sound of that!

Sometimes I just feel that the hobby is great at talking but not so good at the walking.

Well done! its wonderful that we have people like yourself in our mid`st. I am 76, unfortunately live a little too far away and would be more of a liability than an asset. You are to be applauded.......

Just before you all get too far on this, you may like to know that the Churchill on Hill 112 is looked after by a group in France called the Hill 112 Association, mostly people from the surrounding area I understand. They actually have the repainting task in hand, I am told the paint has been obtained from the UK and has been delivered ready for them to do the job.

It would not be very diplomatic to arrive over there and take over what they consider a responsibility and honour to undertake the upkeep of this memorial.

regards, Richard

Just before you all get too far on this, you may like to know that the Churchill on Hill 112 is looked after by a group in France called the Hill 112 Association, mostly people from the surrounding area I understand. They actually have the repainting task in hand, I am told the paint has been obtained from the UK and has been delivered ready for them to do the job.

It would not be very diplomatic to arrive over there and take over what they consider a responsibility and honour to undertake the upkeep of this memorial.

regards, Richard

Excellent news :) thanks for that Richard. Glad it's all in hand. I will pass the message on.

Thanks Rosie.

It just shows that these memorials are by no means forgotten.

regards, Richard

Yes it's nice to know they're being looked after. I will make sure we get to see it next year and photos.

Great to hear that someone can get over and work on these tanks, I will post some of the photos I took. As I said Charlie 1 is by far the worst which figures as its on the beach! The lighter metalwork on the upper surfaces is badly corroded as are a lot of the metal struts strengthening the metalwork of the track guards. The one on Hill 112 is in need of a fresh coat of paint. The one outside the museum at bayeaux had weeds growing out of the back end. Pretty shocking for one supposedly being looked after by a museum. There are also two others that need attention both Churchill/Centaurs, one at Pegasus bridge and the other nearby the Montgomery statue. These both just look shabby because of faded paintwork.

It all begs the question about who is responsible for them,long term, and what funds are available for their preservation. Does the British government pay anything? They bloody should do!

Great to hear that someone can get over and work on these tanks, I will post some of the photos I took. As I said Charlie 1 is by far the worst which figures as its on the beach! The lighter metalwork on the upper surfaces is badly corroded as are a lot of the metal struts strengthening the metalwork of the track guards. The one on Hill 112 is in need of a fresh coat of paint. The one outside the museum at bayeaux had weeds growing out of the back end. Pretty shocking for one supposedly being looked after by a museum. There are also two others that need attention both Churchill/Centaurs, one at Pegasus bridge and the other nearby the Montgomery statue. These both just look shabby because of faded paintwork.

It all begs the question about who is responsible for them,long term, and what funds are available for their preservation. Does the British government pay anything? They bloody should do!

C1 has just been painted, and it now looks OK. I met the lads who were over there to do it at a ceremony on Saturday - from 62 sqn RE on a "battlefield tour". Their OC reckoned it was the only way he could get it done........Sadly where it's placed it will need doing again for next year.

Great to hear that someone can get over and work on these tanks,

The one on Hill 112 is in need of a fresh coat of paint.

It all begs the question about who is responsible for them,long term, and what funds are available for their preservation.

As I said in my post on 31st May, the Hill 112 memorial is looked after by the Hill 112 Association made up mainly of people of the local community. They are painting the tank with paint supplied from over in the UK. They look on this as their responsibility.