Saracen oils and lubricants

scott9643

Now the proud owner of a Saracen ACV and have spent the last two days tinkering and finding my way round it. Has anybody got a list of types of lubricants used with what type goes where please, i.e what oil goes in the bevel boxes, gearbox, fluid flywheel, hydraulic tank (is marked OMD 30) is this ordinary hydraulic oil? Any help would be appreciated.

Also -- have any of you ACV owners got any photos you could share of the inside and various fittings please. Mine is uparmoured and doesn't have a turret

Im a hydraulics engineer and OMD 30 should just be an ordenary 30 grade hydraulic oil.

If using a modern equivelant oil in any of your "Beast" then check its compatability with the older grades.

I know that some are not suitable because of the additives in them and can cause breakdown of older components.

Im a hydraulics engineer and OMD 30 should just be an ordenary 30 grade hydraulic oil.

If using a modern equivelant oil in any of your "Beast" then check its compatability with the older grades.

I know that some are not suitable because of the additives in them and can cause breakdown of older components.

Hoseman,

You should be aware the military oil designation do not give SAE or specification numbers in general. OMD30 was a detergent engine oil, declare obsolete and replaced by OMD55 which is a 5w/30 diesel engine oil, only used in Artic conditions. I think there may be a mistake by Scott as it should have a plate on the filler with OM13.

Saracens in general had OM13 in the hydraulics, but there were some very early ones with another grade.

For interest, the OM13 is a hydraulic oil but not the common grade used in plant, it is an ISO 10 grade.

regards, Richard

Edited by Richard Farrant

Now the proud owner of a Saracen ACV and have spent the last two days tinkering and finding my way round it. Has anybody got a list of types of lubricants used with what type goes where please, i.e what oil goes in the bevel boxes, gearbox, fluid flywheel, hydraulic tank (is marked OMD 30) is this ordinary hydraulic oil? Any help would be appreciated.

Also -- have any of you ACV owners got any photos you could share of the inside and various fittings please. Mine is uparmoured and doesn't have a turret

Hi Scott,

You had better check the hydraulic filler tank cap again, it should be OM13, unless there is something odd about your Saracen. OM13 is an ISO 10 hydraulic oil. It is used in the fluid flywheel as well.

The gearbox has SAE30 engine oil in it.

Bevel boxes, hubs and transfer box are a EP80w/90 or EP90 gear oil

regards, Richard

Hi Richard, I'm just about to fill my Bevel boxes, can I use both EP and non EP oils? My Ferret used a non EP oil and I used to buy the stuff from from a local lorry place round the corner from me at a good price so would like to do the same for the Saracen.

Hi Richard, I'm just about to fill my Bevel boxes, can I use both EP and non EP oils? My Ferret used a non EP oil and I used to buy the stuff from from a local lorry place round the corner from me at a good price so would like to do the same for the Saracen.

Hi Nic,

Same oil as Ferret in the hubs and bevel boxes, and transfer box.

Richard

Hi Scott,

You had better check the hydraulic filler tank cap again, it should be OM13, unless there is something odd about your Saracen.

I don't think there's anything odd about the Saracen -- but now totally convinced there is something odd about me! Should have gone to Specsavers -- or can I blame it on all that excitement. The cap does indeed say OMD 13, so sorry about the bum steer Richard

Thanks all for your replies -- very helpful! Seems I need a servicing manual and probably a whole lot more info.

Pictures of the interior of a FV604 anybody?

I don't think there's anything odd about the Saracen -- but now totally convinced there is something odd about me! Should have gone to Specsavers -- or can I blame it on all that excitement. The cap does indeed say OMD 13, so sorry about the bum steer Richard

OK Scott,

I was beginning to have doubts on my memory :undecided: ;)

Hi Nic,

Same oil as Ferret in the hubs and bevel boxes, and transfer box.

Richard

Congrats on your purchase! It is as exiting as a new girlfriend! Hope to see many pics!

I picked up somewhere with the more modern variety of gearbox oils that it needs to be of the older GL4 variety. Apparently when using the GL5 version, it has severe detrimental effects on brass in the gearboxes. Richard should defitely have some info on this. I tackle the "google" thing to see whether I can locate the article again.

Edited by montie

I picked up somewhere with the more modern variety of gearbox oils that it needs to be of the older GL4 variety. Apparently when using the GL5 version, it has severe detrimental effects on brass in the gearboxes. Richard should defitely have some info on this.

Hi Montie,

Here is a website link on one the oil companies in the UK showing that GL-4 still is an essential requirement in the market place.

http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/scripts/prodview.asp?idproduct=61

I think we definitely need pics please.

OK -- here it is!

FV604.8.jpg

You'll see from the data plate that it had a base overhaul 10/75 at 34 Command Workshop and as there is only a very thin single layer of paint on it, I guess it didn't do much work before disposal

FV604.1.jpg

FV604.4.jpg

FV604.6.jpg

FV604.7.jpg

Scott,

That would be 34 Central Workshop, which was at Donnington. ;)

Ouch -- that's twice in one day I got it wrong. Now I know why kids always give us grown ups answers like they're asking a question, so I'll have to put a question mark on the end of everything I write now? :blush:

Joking aside -- thanks Richard -- all info gratefully received

Ouch -- that's twice in one day I got it wrong. Now I know why kids always give us grown ups answers like they're asking a question, so I'll have to put a question mark on the end of everything I write now? :blush:

Joking aside -- thanks Richard -- all info gratefully received

Sorry Scott, did not intend it like that, just to put the record straight, not many would know the difference, but somebody would pick it up if I didn't!

Best of luck with your Saracen, looks a tidy one.

regards, Richard

OK -- here it is!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77155[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]77154[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]77153[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]77152[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]77156[/ATTACH]

You'll see from the data plate that it had a base overhaul 10/75 at 34 Command Workshop and as there is only a very thin single layer of paint on it, I guess it didn't do much work before disposal

From the vehicle data plate 82BA37, this is another Saracen not on the register that I have been building over time, so time goes, the list grows!

Edited by montie