Austin K9 restoration.

Billruston

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen a few lorrys, trucks with white and red wheels nuts?

Why's this then?

Bill.

Some folk like to accessorise and "bling" their vehicle!

Look at some of the wartime stuff, they have more accessories and markings now than when in service.

The split rim nuts should be red and that's it.

The only ones usually painted white were the royal display ones, and then not allways!

When you see some of them with every hook, and fixing point, wheel nuts etc painted red or white, it looks so wrong! Ropes and shackles hanging off every point possible, They were never like that in service!

and the problem is, one person will have his blinged up like that, then someone else who has a vehicle will see it and think its supposed to be like that, then the cycle continues! Don't do it!

Thats great work on the k9, they are a nice truck, will have to come and see it if your at W&P.

Cheers

shaun

• 3 weeks later...

BILL l would like to add what a great credit to you is the K9 as to painting wheel nuts in about 1967 we got a CHAMP

from a local TA talk about over kill it had white ends to the bumpers and bumperetes and wheelnuts petrol cap painted red trailer socket yellow white blancoed tow rope thats what l can remember o and the retaining studs on the hub where red

Thank you Wally

Hi ya Bill - well done on the restoration - im in a bit of a dilema myself, my grandad bought a K9 in the 50s and converted it to a recovery truck and used it up until about 10 years ago - he passed away in Feb and left the truck to me - it needs a few parts like rubbers for around doors and windows, wipers etc all small parts - my question is where would i go to find them - this is all new to me but i would like to leave the truck in pristine condition - i think it is something he would want, can anyone help?

Thanks

Paddy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
chunkys pics 1880.jpgbought a new gear box, nothing wrong with the other, just always nice to have a spare one, about 8 days befor the war and peace revival the k9 was on 4 axle jacks and no brakes what so ever so bought all the bits to sort the brakes and got the wheels on in that time, so everything was a rush, but looking underneath the k9 the other day i relised that the brake master cylinder was all rusty, it was bought bran new but ovbiously being cast iron went rusty quick but just forgot to paint it, so painted that, if theres any 900x20 bargrip tyers out there id be very interested, cheers bill.

chunkys pics 1876.jpg

chunkys pics 1879.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hi bill mine is all there just recently bought it off of ebay the cab has a bit of rust in it but not to far gone yet it has been converted into a wreaker but I intend to put a wooden body on it im finding it hard to find any info on these engines. does anyone know if it is the same engine that was fitted to the Austin princess limo A125?

hi bill mine is all there just recently bought it off of ebay the cab has a bit of rust in it but not to far gone yet it has been converted into a wreaker but I intend to put a wooden body on it im finding it hard to find any info on these engines. does anyone know if it is the same engine that was fitted to the Austin princess limo A125?

Hi Mate,

It is very much the same engine as the Austin Sheerline and Princess, except you will need to find a K9 sump, which is cast alloy, shallow and wide with fins so that it fits around the front axle otherwise the first bump you will crush the sump if you use a normal 4x2 truck or car one.

Would it happen to be the k9 in Yorkshire?, as Richard said there pretty much the same as the cars, if a petrol is hard to get, shove a deasil in her, but if you want to stick to originality it's up to you, there is one on ebay a k9 engine for £550 which is more than what I paid for my whole truck!!.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the replies just got hold of a Bedford j type with a 6cylinder engine and box in it so going to try and get this to fit, im also on the look out for any info on eager beaver forklifts as I have two and both are missing the clutch slave cylinder and the rod between that and the cluch fork. any info/diagram would be great regards ricky

• 8 months later...