Fox windscreen photos/drawings?

DownRange762

For road inspection purposes I have to fabricate a windscreen for my FV721 Fox. I've only located one photo of the Approach March Windscreen for this vehicle and I have the one drawing of it from the Parts manual. Does anyone have any other photos or drawings of this windscreen? Or any advice if you have built your own? I've given up on trying to locate an original though I expect five minutes after finishing mine, one will be listed on EBay!

With enough money thrown at a project you can make anything. Now it may cost more than the vehicle itself but that is another matter.

Actually we have started on a male mold and can have the final product blow molded. What I was hoping for was better pictures and some dimensions of the portion that protrudes forward to allow the driver to lean forward enough to see what traffic is approaching from the sides. A single piece of glass wouldn't work as the hull at the opening is angled at the hatch requiring at least two pieces or as many as four if not using a blow molded acrylic.

But thanks for the input.

it's a one piece Perspex moulding, you would not be able to make one yourself, it would be much easier just to get a flat piece of laminated glass cut to the size of the hatch

A Fox would be very dangerous to drive anywhere without the ability to stick your head through the driver's hatch to give at least some sideways vision (there are no side vision hatches or periscopes like a Ferret). The proper Fox 'route march windscreen' allows a small amount of side view and does serve the purpose of keeping most of the rain out of your lap!

I have a couple of them in my stores and will take some dimensions/pictures for you this week.

I have plenty of the original bags that they come in!

Jon

Ooh, That takes me back. When I was in the 'Yo-Yos' on Fox, we must have had the vehicles for about a year before we had the screens issued. When we first fitted them, the wiper motors were wired up wrong, and the screen locking handles arced when applied.

I seem to remember wrapping them in hessian and jamming them under the radiator air intakes! It must have done wonders for engine cooling.:(

I don't think we bothered with them much, too much hassle. (Rose-tints on - can't have rained much, back in the day!)

'Chas.'

Pictures would be great as would a measurement of how far the projection molded into the windscreen protrudes forward from the hull. As you have a couple of them, would you be willing to sell one? Thanks for your reply.

A Fox would be very dangerous to drive anywhere without the ability to stick your head through the driver's hatch to give at least some sideways vision (there are no side vision hatches or periscopes like a Ferret). The proper Fox 'route march windscreen' allows a small amount of side view and does serve the purpose of keeping most of the rain out of your lap!

I have a couple of them in my stores and will take some dimensions/pictures for you this week.

I have plenty of the original bags that they come in!

Jon

Thanks for posting the great pictures and any others, particularly the windscreen wiper motor mounting, the flange area where the screen contacts the hull and internal mounting for the windscreen would be helpful.

Just offered this incomplete screen upto my project fox to give you the genersl arrangement. Hope this helps, I'll take some more pictures later.[ATTACH]76439[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]76440[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]76441[/ATTACH]

Regards Clive

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my first step in creating a male mold to vacuum form this piece out of .250 thick Plexiglas G. Of course on top of this initial plywood cover I'm building out the rectangular portion which houses the bullet resistent glass. Will post a photo of that once I'm done.

If anyone who has ready access to an orginal could measure the extent of the protrusion of the plastic which houses the actual bullet resistent glass that would be most helpful.

Fox windscreen template resized.JPG

Edited by DownRange762