hi...

just signed up after some time spent reading about the guys in devon with the dennis....

i myself work as an electrician but have a keen interest in old technology and WW1 aviation...in fact anything really from that era...

i`m particularly interested in early engines and the like..

anyway....thanks for taking the time to read my first post.

Glenn.:-)

Edited by flandersflyer

I enjoyed watching all the solutions that the guys came up with...such as the pattern making and the lathe work...

i remember about 20 years ago when i was living in shrewsbury for a while...there was this scrappers out on the edge of town....

now, i had a little look about that place and it was full of old stuff....i bet you there was some of these old truck chassis and various other items there....

think its gone now though that place...

I used to work in fabrications about 8 years ago before i got into sparkying....at that time i was working as a plater/welder and as was quite rightly pointed out in the Dennis thread old cast can be a pig to weld....it can tend to just gas up and not take....

but you can always TIG it with argon gas and de-oxidised stainless rod....welds cast lovely does stainless...and you wont need to preheat the casting either when using the TIG process as its a really localised heat...but if using nickel rods with a stick plant....then you will need to take the chill out of the casting first....and theres a correct way to do it:

always start on the outside with the heating torch in a circular motion and gradually work inward till the area you wish to weld is a dull red....never work from the centre outward as this can cause the casting to develop stress fractures that will only become apparant after its all cooled down...once its all a dull red then start getting them fillets in....as soon as the casting has been welded re-heat to a dull red then chuck a load of dry sand over the welded area....so it can all normalise gradually...if it cools down too rapid then it can develop stresses and crack...or the weld can seperate and never..never quench any weld....but particularly cast.....

You can repair ally with TIG...but it has to be really clean beforehand so a good buff with a scotchbrite pad....and dont forget of course you need to be in AC to weld aluminium:)