Polsten 20mm Cannon mounting or trailer

Hi

I've just been a lucky boy and bought a 20mm Polsten Cannon (and a 81mm Mortar but that's another story), its on a made up cradle but I'm now looking for either a ground mounting of some sort or a trailer mounting. Also if anybody has any photos/drawings or info generally as I guess its all very rare now and I may have to make one somehow.

I've found some stuff on the internet but would love any more info anybody can give me.

Thanks

Andy

Andy,

I was standing back to let someone else answer your question but Have you bought the Polsten advertised on Milweb ?

You are quite limited with what you can do with this ,as you will know the most common mounting was the 'Iron Lady' otherwise known as the Canadian Quad mount built be John Inglis in 1944.Other options are Naval pedestal mounts which are static so not much use really and the final option is the Airborne trailer carrying a single gun,there was someone a while ago 'knocking' these up and passing them off as originals...................:nut: yeah right !

as Brucie use to say 'The choice is yours'

Rob.........................rnixartillery.

Yes it was the one on Milweb. I've seen some photos of a mount for a single gun on the back of a 15cwt truck, it looks a bit like the airborne trailer mount. Does anybody have any more info ?

Andy

Andy,

I've written about these mounts on here before so do a search as I have ammassed a lot of information and done much research, but in brief the one on the back of the truck (CMP, Bedford MW and apparently WOT2) was called a universal mount and is very different to the airborne mount.

There was also a universal type mount for the Hispano 20mm gun and a number of trialled jeep towable single mounts that never took off. There was also a 2 wheeled airborne lighweight Bofors 40mm mounting and one survives, very nice mount.

Carleton