Registering an ex MV with no paperwork, what's required?

Biggest concern is the vehicle needs to be inspected at a dvla centre which would be a logistical pain, I was hoping that just showing relevant paperwork will be enough, depending who answers the phone at dvla the answer varies.

The story:

1939/1940 ish Leyland Retriever so MOT/Tax exempt

Has never been registered

So... If I had an insurance certificate and a dating certificate, could I get an age related plate without presenting it for inspection?

Where could I get a dating certificate? Too early for Gaydon records? does the leyland society have a dating system?

MVT should be able to provide a dating certificate for you (they will need to come and see it). You just need to contact the verification office to arrange for someone to come out (you will need to join if you are not already a member but well worth doing). The DVLA will usually accept this as their inspection by proxy - so no having to get it to a DVLA office.

I've had two inspections like this (and inspected another members vehicle also as an MVT representative) its actually been a pretty smooth process.