My new (old) Triumph :D

mattyp

Ok so I bit the bullet and bought what I believe to be a 1944 3HW although I am now wondering if she is actually a 3SW with a 3HW engine fitted :S I will post some numbers later :)

I lost the gearlever through vibration on the trailer on the way home but that's pretty much the only missing part I think.

One of the valves was stuck so I have already stripped the head and cleaned and lapped them so fingers crossed she should slip back together with no undue fuss.....

I will let you know how I get on :)

Hello.

The 2 main differences between a 3sw and 3hw frame are the fitting of the side stand.

On a 3sw this fitting is bolted and on a 3hw it scold be welded.

There are also differed forks used on these bikes.

Guy

Hello.

The 2 main differences between a 3sw and 3hw frame are the fitting of the side stand.

On a 3sw this fitting is bolted and on a 3hw it scold be welded.

There are also differed forks used on these bikes.

Guy

A further clue is that 3SW/5SW frames have the "TL" number duplicated on the front downtube and on the rear just below the saddle, whereas 3HW's have only the TL number at the front and a production date below the saddle..........

There are exceptions of course.......a good friend has a 3HW with the frame marked accordingly, but it also has a small brass plate just below the saddle stating "(month) & 1940" so a possible reusing later of earlier frames.......? :-D

Here are a couple of pictures, I'll post some numbers later although i am nervous to do so in case they turn out to be wrong somehow :S lol

I wouldn't really care though because I think she looks amazing :D

Thanks very much for your replies though, I'll have to do some more research :)

3 HW 2.jpg

3 hw.jpg

Hi Matt,

sounds like you did much the same as me. Bought my 3HW last year and have been steadily replacing the missing bits and learning a lot about em. The guys on this site have been a great help I must say . Anyway welcome to the 3HW gang! :-D

Hey thanks guys :)

I lost the gearchange lever through vibration on the way home though, does anyone know where I may be able to find a replacement?

She is now running too! I cleaned the head out, relapped the valves, cleaned the carb out and reassembled and she sounds awesome! Great oil return and started within 10 kicks which, considering she hadn't run in 6 years or so, I didn't think was too bad! :D

Hello,

The right gear change pedal for a 3hw is very difficult to find, but you can always mount a civilian type on to the gearbox.

The difference is that a civilian gear lever has a round extension to put a rubber piece over and the military bike has a complete metal lever .

Guy

Hello,

The right gear change pedal for a 3hw is very difficult to find, but you can always mount a civilian type on to the gearbox.

The difference is that a civilian gear lever has a round extension to put a rubber piece over and the military bike has a complete metal lever .

Guy

Thanks Guy, I will try to find a civvy one. It never even occurred to me that the lever might vibrate off on the trailer :(

• 2 weeks later...