1994 50th D-Day Commemorations

Edd

Can't believe its was 19 years ago. Thanks for sharing, nice to see other peoples pics from such a fantastic trip, that is still as vivid as if it were only 5 years ago. Came back with Tonsillitis :embarrassed: lol

Was there at the same site as part of a group of 7 of us in a friends GMC called Baby Alf. One of many memorable highlights of the trip for me was having the privilege of meeting Major John Howard at cafe Gondree on the 7th of June.

Glad to have been there and apart of it.:-)

asset.php?fid=69138&uid=14379&d=1371749419

Baby Alf on Omaha Beach

asset.php?fid=69140&uid=14379&d=1371750749

asset.php?fid=69134&uid=14379&d=1371749316

Steve.

Hands up! The Chevrolet C8A HUP is mine! We still have it in the shed. Will have had it 30 years this year. In the days of more frivolous education spending I bought this truck with my first terms education grant! What I thought then and now to be money well spent. We completely rebuilt it for Normandy in 1994 and drove to the ferry with paint that was still wet in places!! It performed faultlessly throughout and was a real bonus with all the rain! On the same campsite was Mike Burnes PUTR C8A and John Marchants C8A HUW. It was very wet and muddy, even now we call by to remember the mud city fortnight each time we're in Normandy!

Just watched that video and part 2. Did not get my lorry selected for the parade so was onboard a friend's Brockway and low loader trailer. I saw Denis's Grizzly with Charlie BJ hanging on the outside of the turret, as was the norm :D. Lots of well known faces there. There had been a hold up when an uninvited Sherman got in on the parade, then abandoned it in the town from what I recall.

Mud City campsite was a bit sticky, best bit was on 6th June and they said the first 30 or so British marked vehicles to line up can go on the beach, I was off like a long dog to get my lorry and we had the unexpected chance to drive some Vets along the beach to Arromanches from Asnelles to parade in front of the Queen.

Can't believe its was 19 years ago. Thanks for sharing, nice to see other peoples pics from such a fantastic trip, that is still as vivid as if it were only 5 years ago. Came back with Tonsillitis :embarrassed: lol

Was there at the same site as part of a group of 7 of us in a friends GMC called Baby Alf. One of many memorable highlights of the trip for me was having the privilege of meeting Major John Howard at cafe Gondree on the 7th of June.

Baby Alf on Omaha Beach

Steve.

Pictures not showing up for me unfortunately as would love to see them.

Just watched that video and part 2. Did not get my lorry selected for the parade so was onboard a friend's Brockway and low loader trailer. I saw Denis's Grizzly with Charlie BJ hanging on the outside of the turret, as was the norm :D. Lots of well known faces there. There had been a hold up when an uninvited Sherman got in on the parade, then abandoned it in the town from what I recall.

Mud City campsite was a bit sticky, best bit was on 6th June and they said the first 30 or so British marked vehicles to line up can go on the beach, I was off like a long dog to get my lorry and we had the unexpected chance to drive some Vets along the beach to Arromanches from Asnelles to parade in front of the Queen.

Talking of which I wonder what kind of Royal presence there will be next year with it not only being the 70th but also the last year of the Normandy Veterans Association.

Scott

Thanks for bringing back the memories -that really was a great (albeit chaotic) day. Let's hope that next year will see a proper Commonwealth presence at Bayeux and not the ridiculous affair of four years ago....

Ah, it was Mike Burnes C8A I was thinking of. Saw him with it out at a show near my parents in the middle of May.

The trip on to the beach was unique. I think we got a lot more than 30 vehicles on to the beach though! We travelled with the Morris Predictor and a Bedford MW. The Morris made a superb viewing platform! A nice convoy down the beach with the veterans and the tanks forming a spearhead. Very special memories.

Ed

Thanks for bringing back the memories -that really was a great (albeit chaotic) day. Let's hope that next year will see a proper Commonwealth presence at Bayeux and not the ridiculous affair of four years ago....

Lets hope so, I'm still drying out from that downpour which greeted the parade!

Yeah was on the beach that day waiting for the Royal visit when the convoy came up the sand with lights on, got the camera out and took some snaps of the vehicles and vets whilst the convoy waited for the crowds to part.

Yeah was on the beach that day waiting for the Royal visit when the convoy came up the sand with lights on, got the camera out and took some snaps of the vehicles and vets whilst the convoy waited for the crowds to part.

I'm sure we would all love to see some pictures if you are able to upload them mate.

Scott

Pictures not showing up for me unfortunately as would love to see them.

Scott

Baby Alf on Omaha Beach

Steve.

I'm sure we would all love to see some pictures if you are able to upload them mate.

So Smithy must have did something wrong, Hopefully i have got it right this time.

Normandy 1994a.jpg

Above and Below. Baby Alf on Omaha Beach

Normandy 1994.jpg

Normandy 1994b.jpg

Normandy 1994 1.jpg

Major John Howard (Right)

Normandy 1994 2.jpg

Normandy 1994 4.jpg

Normandy 1994 5.jpg

Normandy 1994 6.jpg

Normandy 1994 3.jpg

Taken on the 6th of June 1994 Gold Beach Arromanches waiting for the Royal Visit.

Steve

Hi all,

the Scammell "snow white" and the Sexton "bodica" i belive are still present in the Hampshire area untill a few years ago and were for sale ...but as far as i knoe are with the origonal owner .

cheers

Ashley

So Smithy must have did something wrong, Hopefully i have got it right this time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78491[/ATTACH]

Above and Below. Baby Alf on Omaha Beach

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78492[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78493[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78494[/ATTACH]

Major John Howard (Right)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78500[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78502[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78503[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78504[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78501[/ATTACH]

Taken on the 6th of June 1994 Gold Beach Arromanches waiting for the Royal Visit.

Steve

Thanks Steve, receiving them loud and clear this time. Great to once again see vehicles which were attending events some 19 years ago now.

Scott