Aec militant inflrmation?

Can any one tell me what they do to the gallon?.

And mot'ing them, I thought lorrys had to be pre 60's to not Mot, I've spoke to a few people with millies that was 1970s and they say they don't have to mot them? Is that because there classed as recovery?

What are spares like to find?.

Regards bill.

Can any one tell me what they do to the gallon?.

And mot'ing them, I thought lorrys had to be pre 60's to not Mot, I've spoke to a few people with millies that was 1970s and they say they don't have to mot them? Is that because there classed as recovery?

What are spares like to find?.

Regards bill.

Hi bill, I have a 71 Millie mk3 recovery I get about 8mpg solo down to about 6mpg when towing,I have never motd the old girl but I keep it roadworthy and it is well lit up with side markers and beacons.So joe public are aware you are on the road.

Regards,

Andy Butler

Bill

For the Mk3 recovery, the manual says top speed = 48 1/2 mph and fuel consuption = 7.8 mpg.

I don't expect my speedo to be hugely accurate but just under 50mph is do-able but under 40 mph reduces the blood pressure on narrow roads (fat tyres and short wheelbase). I would guess on average just over 6mpg, hard to say unless you do a lot of miles.

Iain

The officials figures are 6.25 mpg with trailed load on the road & 3 mpg cross country.

PS Official top speed 32 mph

From Militant Mk3 Recovery Handbook:

Fuel consumption 7.8mpg

Road speeds (mph) at 2200 engine rpm

1st low: 2.5; high: 4.5

2nd low: 4; high: 7.5

3rd low: 7; high: 13.5

4th low: 12; high: 22

5th low: 18; high: 33.5

6th low: 24; high: 45

40mph is plenty fast enough given the large tyres and 21 ton weight!

As far as availability of parts is concerned I have recently been able to get a new air brake valve and an unloader valve. Some other bits I cannot find, but so far have not been required anyway as the existing stuff can be dismantled and serviced. I am told that the rear brakes are shared with a Routemaster bus, but have not yet been able to confirm this. The fronts seem to be unique to this model and are more difficult to find.

Hi bill,speaking to a few ex reme reccy mechs when they were in Germany they seem to think they could get up to 70 on the autobahns.all I can say is fair play if they did I got up to 55 in mine and then it drove me not the other way round.they do tend to wallow in there tyres and if not fully inflated are a real bitch to steer at low speed,we always run our tyres at 100 psi and the steering is ok at low or high speed.again if you do acquire one they are a marvellous bit of kit.as for spares the rear end is as near to a route master brake as any,engine parts are still available.as for the front axle I have found the matador front axle is a good place for spares.as we have quite a few mats spares are quite easy to come by.i hope this helps mate

Andy