Bedford QLD early and later versions?.

martynsmith

Hi all

I have heard that the Bedford QLD came in early and late versions can anyone point out the major differances to a layman please?

When was the switch from early to late models?

Did some have wooden cargo beds or were they all sheet steel?

Did they all have the tray for the gas detector paint in front of the driver or was this feature phased out and if so when?

What were the common lighting arrangements?

In anticipation, thanks

Martyn

Hello,

I can give you a few pointers. The QLs had steel bodies the wooden bodies had been phased out by 1941 when the QL's were introduced. On the early models the radiator grill was on the inside of the radiator cowl, they had the round badge, and an extra strip of metal running vertically down the centre of the grill. The windscreen had internal hinges and the later ones were external. The early ones had a vent in the front of the cab. Also the front cab mounting were different. The very early ones had big headlights and side lights.

Hope this helps,

Regards

John

Hello,

I can give you a few pointers. The QLs had steel bodies the wooden bodies had been phased out by 1941 when the QL's were introduced. On the early models the radiator grill was on the inside of the radiator cowl, they had the round badge, and an extra strip of metal running vertically down the centre of the grill. The windscreen had internal hinges and the later ones were external. The early ones had a vent in the front of the cab. Also the front cab mounting were different. The very early ones had big headlights and side lights.

Hope this helps,

Regards

John

Bedford QLD ? or MWs John.

Hello ian,

QLD of course? Here's my dad's 1941.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74750[/ATTACH]

Reading the question again, the bed of the rear body was wood and the sides steel.

john

Hi John

Thanks for the help. Just a question on your dad's 1941 QL. I was told that the mudguard strengtheners were added late on maybe as late as 1944, or post war? Could your dad's have been restored using newer mudguards?

I can see what you mean about the radiator grill

Cheers

Martyn