Bedford MWD restoration

Well its been a good weekend :-D after a chance encounter at Stoneleigh I have managed to get hold of an early type air filter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]87498[/ATTACH]

It'll need some restoration but its the one I've been looking for .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]87499[/ATTACH]

Will need a new filter element as this ones a tad worn :shocked:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]87500[/ATTACH]

Nice jack dated 1941

[ATTACH=CONFIG]87501[/ATTACH]

driver side splash guard.

Plus flame retarder, couple of wheel rims, tax disc holder, mirrors and lots of small bits n pieces.

A Big Big thank you to Paul for helping me with these parts it will help my restoration on no end.

Just fitted an Early Air filter to my Humber, sad to say, for the time being at least i fitted an inline modern filter, was a perfect fit for only £10, at least this lets me run it and in the future attempt to make the bellows................unless you feel like making two ?

Jules

IMG_2221.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

Like the look of that element do you have a part No. and supplier please, the filter I am making is an experiment to see if it can be done and if it will work the cost of materials just to make one comes in around £45 which is ok its the hours and hours I've spent sewing the 48 pieces of felt together that takes sooooooooooooooo long will post some pics when its finished.

Cheers J.

How have you managed to spend £45? Mine cost around £8 or £9 for enough felt to make two filters (needless to say I overestimated!), bought from Ebay. I did use modern polyester felt as I thought it might not rot as quickly. A helpful friend cut out and sewed up the whole thing in an evening one her old treadle operated sewing machine. Sorry I would post a picture but I can't find it on my laptop.

I was quite tempted to try and replace the whole thing with a modern filter housing I know the housing on my mate's Discovery is pretty much the same, with the inlet and outlet in much the same position as the Bedford one.

Good luck with your filter, and you are doing a cracking job with the restoration.

Mike.

Well I had to replace the internal wires hence the extra cost felt cost £11 plus P&P wire was £20 plus P&P plus webbing.

100_3769.jpg

simple jig I made to help with making the internal 1.5 mm piano wires the correct dia.

100_3766.jpg

pattern used to mark out the 48 pieces of felt I realised that cutting them out first was no good as it was a lot easier to follow the marks and the cut just outside the stiches.

100_3788.jpg

I used 2mm felt that when measured was more like 1.6mm

100_3794.jpg

After sewing the centres are cut out to enable them to be lined up when sewing the alternate pairs together.

100_3795.jpg

pairs had to be sewn together then the holes cut out then alternate pieces had to be sewn together to make the 24 bellows then the wires inserted and finally the three strips of canvas sewn to the outside.

100_3804.jpg

100_3801.jpg

Test fit in tube

Edited by rampant rivet

Yaay ! I have a rolling chassis

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86422[/ATTACH]

Well on the 1/35th scale one :D

Meanwhile down t'shed and work today on the 1/1 scale is actually easier :nut:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86423[/ATTACH]

Front springs are back on along with the front flexi pipes for the brakes now the front tressle has been removed the front cross member can be sorted next.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86424[/ATTACH]

All the hubs and drums are sorted with the brake shoes adjusted inc the handbrake.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86425[/ATTACH]

Must start looking for some decent 900x16 tyres soon.

Nice model!!!!

Good progress with it.....................looks harder than the real thing!!

yes model is a lot more fiddly though this filter has been fiddly too :nut:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]88176[/ATTACH]

before

[ATTACH=CONFIG]88177[/ATTACH]

during

[ATTACH=CONFIG]88178[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]88179[/ATTACH]

Almost after just need to fit elbow and put top coat on.

Not Bad for a 'Chippy'

;););):D

Cheers Dave :D have made 5 patterns from my spark plug holder today and have posted them to John hopefully some new ones can be made.

:tup::John sent me the pics , I e mailed him mentioned them and couldn't believe how fast you came back with them :wow: . I was contemplating buying some casting sand etc and doing them :) .The clips are sorted apart from the 50mm , their out of stock at the moment so as soon as they arrive I'll get them sent off .

Dave

Edited by Davey089

Hi Louis

Rippo and Dave are sorting having some new spark plug holders made I just made the patterns today so the can be cast.

RR.

Nice restauration on your filter Jeremy..

She das look almost new...wel done.

Do you have more info about the spark plug holders..??

Cheers,

Louis

:tup::John sent me the pics , I e mailed him mentioned them and couldn't believe how fast you came back with them :wow: . I was contemplating buying some casting sand etc and doing them :) .The clips are sorted apart from the 50mm , their out of stock at the moment so as soon as they arrive I'll get them sent off .

Dave

Hi Dave it just worked that I was at home today and had some time to knock them out They are in the post and should be at John's soon, I'm Rippo's pet chippy / pattern maker :D if I can help out I will, I'm lucky that I have an original sat nr my puter and it was fairly easy to replicate :nut: thanks for sorting the clips look forward to fitting them :D

Cheers J.

Edited by rampant rivet

Hi Dave it just worked that I was at home today and had some time to knock them out They are in the post and should at John's soon, I'm Rippo's pet chippy / pattern maker :D if I can help out I will, I'm lucky that I have an original sat nr my puter and it was fairly easy to replicate :nut: thanks for sorting the clips look forward to fitting them :D

Cheers J.

I've just been looking at a small electric furnace and a couple of cope and drags , trouble is I would have to cast a fair bit of stuff to warrant buying it :D , but cope and drags plus ali ingots , sand and blow lamp is more economical :) .

Cheers

Dave

Cope and drags sounds a bit dodgy to me :D what are cope and drags ? original spark plug holder looks to be made from monkey metal not ali maybe they could be cast in bronze ?

Cope and drags are basically a two piece casting frame , you place in the item to cast and pack it with casting sand , can't see why it can't be cast in Bronze (bling):D . I said to John I've had all these bits made out of Mahogany (which is what the timber was when I pulled it apart) plus all the brass bits , that would be different a bulled up and French polished MW:cool2: , seems a shame to hide all that nice timber and brass under paint :D

Dave

$_12.JPG

Progress day today :) after things seemed to slow up it was nice to get the front cross member and engine mount back in the chassis.

100_3839.jpg

100_3842.jpg

front springs back on

100_3846.jpg

100_3843.jpg

Also got time to loosely fit the new oil filter from chris Morter and next on the list is the new exhaust pipe :D

100_3837.jpg

Plus got lots of bits n bobs sprayed as the weather is sooooooooooo nice:D

How difficult was it to get the front crossmember off in the first place? I need to do the one on my OX at some point in the near future, although I don't think it's as bad as yours was. I should really have done it whilst the engine was out last year, but I bottled it!

By the way, I think your starter motor is fitted 180 degrees out - the lever thing at the end where the cable attaches should point upwards.

mike.

How difficult was it to get the front crossmember off in the first place? I need to do the one on my OX at some point in the near future, although I don't think it's as bad as yours was. I should really have done it whilst the engine was out last year, but I bottled it!

By the way, I think your starter motor is fitted 180 degrees out - the lever thing at the end where the cable attaches should point upwards.

mike.

Hi mike the cross member was not too difficult to remove as one end was fairly corroded First I ground the tops off the rivets then drilled the centres and punched them out after repair and shotblasting /painting replacement was fairly easy though I did remove the steering box and jack the engine up to make things easier.

Yes the starter is 180 degs out :blush: you win first prize for observation :D bit like the tire pump I'm just testing people to make sure they are paying attention :)

RR.