Bedford MWD restoration

Hi Jeremy,

Very nice finds indeed. The small metal block with the two threaded holes is a holder for spare spark plugs - it sits on the bulkhead in the top right hand corner (viewed from the drivers seat).

Look forward to seeing pics of your MW when it's completed)

Mike.

As an antidote to Xmas I spent the afternoon tinkering with the truck

100_3643.jpg

New and old clutch fork ball there's nothing worse than a worn out ball :D

100_3645.jpg

Having replaced the fly wheel and clutch the gearbox can go back on :cheesy:

100_3646.jpg

The moment of truth - all seems ok the wear in the ball plus the missing washer made all the difference pedal is good now :D

100_3648.jpg

Hand brake springs are on as well.

Happy Xmas to all :D

Second rear brake drum / hub sorted this morning, bearings/hub seal replaced along with lots of luvly grease :-D

J working.jpg

now ready for top coat of paint, spent afternoon fitting 1st hub to rear axle attaching shock absorber arms and bckts to axle and removed rear diff cover to clean it and check crown and pinion all ok :-D

Happy new year to all :cool2:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Wayno what's this I hear your going into farming ? call by when your passing I'm doing some preventative on the Norton at the mo which means things have slowed a bit on the MW.

Not quite mucka. Its a small idea that evolved into a big one once Henri got involved. The irony is that it's Ex Military anyway, which I didn't plan.

It also has transpired that this model is not very abundant either, so may have stumbled upon a future asset for the collection.

This one is running and needs a few cosmetic items, which is handy as I must get stuck into the Pig and Rover8FFR.

I am popping in to see them both on my travels next week with work, so will get a bit of a push from my conscience to get on with it.

Your resto is looking great though m8y :)

Edited by Rover8FFR
typo

Yaay ! I have a rolling chassis

100_3697.jpg

Well on the 1/35th scale one :D

Meanwhile down t'shed and work today on the 1/1 scale is actually easier :nut:

100_3691.jpg

Front springs are back on along with the front flexi pipes for the brakes now the front tressle has been removed the front cross member can be sorted next.

100_3690.jpg

All the hubs and drums are sorted with the brake shoes adjusted inc the handbrake.

100_3693.jpg

Must start looking for some decent 900x16 tyres soon.

Well the front cross member has been removed from the chassis on inspection it turned out to be fairly rotten in places

Photo0003.jpg

Its now in my mates blacksmiths workshop to be repaired, the front engine mount was shot too so have ordered a new on from Chris and will pick it up at Stoneleigh.

Photo0005.jpg

Edited by rampant rivet

• 2 weeks later...

Not much happening lately as I recover from a severe case of man-flu :undecided: managed to get a new front engine mount :D

100_3726.jpg

old and new.

Am now about to start repairs to the bulkhead soon with a view to starting the engine but am stuck for a few parts -

WANTED for early MW please

CONCERTINA TYPE AIR FILTER plus pipes and fittings to carb.

Also flame arrester and tubing to carb.

Hopefully somewhere somebody can help me out with some of these parts please :D grovel grovel :bow: :bow: :bow:

Image.jpg

FOUND !! :D Just back from sunny Devon with a boot full of goodies inc filter etc etc will post pics tomo :banana: :clap: :banana:

Thanks Paul.

Edited by rampant rivet

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been a good weekend :-D after a chance encounter at Stoneleigh I have managed to get hold of an early type air filter.

100_3730.jpg

It'll need some restoration but its the one I've been looking for .

100_3729.jpg

Will need a new filter element as this ones a tad worn :shocked:

100_3735.jpg

Nice jack dated 1941

100_3741.jpg

driver side splash guard.

Plus flame retarder, couple of wheel rims, tax disc holder, mirrors and lots of small bits n pieces.

A Big Big thank you to Paul for helping me with these parts it will help my restoration on no end.

Yesterday I started working on the bulkhead tin worm and there's plenty to put right.

100_3771.jpg

100_3770.jpg

Top panel that carries aero screens etc particularly thin so will be completely replaced with new steel.

100_3774.jpg

100_3777.jpg

Top panel removed to be used as template for new.

100_3776.jpg

small stiffner plate replaced.

100_3778.jpg

more rot.

100_3779.jpg

Old dexion shelf back comes in usefull as its the same thickness as original. Don't worry wood screws were used to temp hold panel in place :-D

100_3781.jpg

Bit of Gorilla welding and grinding later.

100_3782.jpg

More to do but I want retain the early MW /OY cutout in the panel.

100_3783.jpg

Temp brace tacked on to retain original shape of bulkhead.

100_3784.jpg

Checking new piece for fit.

100_3786.jpg

loosely tacked but had to stop due to loss of daylight.

Today I have made a start on the replacement air filter element pics to follow, what a fiddly job :nut:

100_3771.jpg

100_3770.jpg

100_3774.jpg

100_3777.jpg

100_3776.jpg

100_3778.jpg

100_3779.jpg

100_3781.jpg

100_3782.jpg

100_3783.jpg

100_3784.jpg

100_3786.jpg