Bedford MWD restoration

Back to the shed today and progress has been made :D

100_3446.jpg

Managed to attach my chain hoist to the rear axle and lift up it under the springs.

100_3450.jpg

Then after a bit of juggling managed to position the axle under the springs and secured them with the U bolts and new nuts, then removed the rear timber tressle to allow the axle to sit back on it stands which will now allow me to sort out the tail end of the chassis and refit the towing bracket.

100_3451.jpg

Sorted the handbrake rods and brake pipes got to clip them in place next time.

100_3453.jpg

Hi John as promised here is a pic of a brake shoe the measurement you wanted is 14 3/4" hope that's ok ?

Am taking bulkhead, bonnet, front panel, wheel rims and wings to be blasted tomo am going to try soda blasting the wings because they are made with such thin steel, will see how its goes and post some before and after pics here soon.

100_3454.jpg

Van full :cool2:

Edited by rampant rivet

Hello John & Maurice thanks for the pics, yes steps are later type and I may replace them later when I know what the original dimensions are Maurice ? :cool2: and yes I know the horn should face forward it has had a later type fitted at some time which has meant an extra bracket has been added turning the horn sideways, again I'll swop it later for an original horn as I promised John the other day :-D, had a bit of good news today have tracked down a pair of front springs, hub, bearings, brake linings and a decent steering wheel with horn push :banana: will only leave passenger side fuel tank left on my wish list, and early air filter plus grab rail for cab and bonnet side panels etc etc etc :wow:

Edited by rampant rivet

Had a good day at the digout and collected a pair of front springs, brake shoes, s/h hub with bearings, horn push plus two petrol tank trays thanks Pete :D also found a good rocker cover breather and another CAV. regulator :banana: though not much else in the way of Bedford bits mostly Jeep this time

100_3462.jpg

Goodies !! this means the front and rear axles can be finished off.

100_3463.jpg

Could'nt help but fit the new shoes before heading home from t'shed :-D

Regarding brake shoes, do you have the parts/stock numbers for them? I ask as I was rummaging around a yard a couple of weeks ago and there were a number of primary standard packages which had Bedford brake shoes in them. Clutch plates as well. It likely could well be that they are for the later 60's/70's models, but if you can come up with a number I will go back when I am next in the area and check them out for you if you want. Genuine spares have got to be worth having if they are there eh? No idea what the owner will want for them.

Have cleaned the hub and checked the bearings all ok :D and have had a go at putting a front spring together using a combination of leafs to get back to the original look.

100_3465.jpg

Still needs to be cleaned greased and painted, but at least its complete :-D

100_3312.jpg

Edited by rampant rivet

Ok what do you do when the wifes out for the evening ? you clear a space on the dining room table find an old towel and get stuck into ------------- restoring your steering wheel what were you all thinking ? :wow: really !!!

100_3466.jpg

100_3468.jpg

100_3470.jpg

Here's a few pics of before

I thought I'd have a go at restoring my old steering wheel I am using milliput 2 part epoxy putty to fill the gaps and cracks, gave it a good clean first then mixed the 2 part goo together then pushed it into cracks etc .

100_3474.jpg

using a wetted finger you can smooth the putty to the contours of the wheel.

100_3478.jpg

Being black in colour it looks ok even before being sanded etc.

100_3477.jpg

100_3476.jpg

100_3479.jpg

Will rub it down and try to get it looking more original, if it doesn't work then all I've wasted is about a fivers worth of putty and a couple of hours work :cool2:

100_3472.jpg

Edited by rampant rivet

Yes will call by my bearing supplier on Monday, I had real problems finding front outer bearing as they are obsolete and had to use good second hand ones in the end, I've had a quick look online using the reference numbers with no luck so far, at least this time the hubs are in good condition just the bearings.

Edited by rampant rivet

New bearings have been sorted ouch ! and have the bulkhead and other bits back from being soda blasted :-D

100_3503.jpg

100_3505.jpg

looks a lot better without all that old paint and rust have given it all an etch primer and undercoat to protect the metal until I start repairing various amounts of rust damage.

Was hoping to meet up with Louis today as he was bringing over the tool bin for the rear but traffic chaos means we will meet up at Malvern tomo :-D

Wocha Paul did you get to Malvern on sun ? if so sorry to have missed you, well I'm plodding on quietly with the truck and have enough tin worm and other things to sort out until into the new year :D, you don't want to buy an extremely rare tool bin for a MWC by any chance ? :nut:

Cheers J.

Hi Jeremy,

It was nice to meet you at Malvern last Sunday and its good to know that you like the toolbox...

You can always remove the rails and store them safely for when a normal toolbox shows up....

But as we say here its better to have something under your back body then totally nothing....;-)

You dont see it verry often that a person is trying to sell a toolbox for a MWD truck.

Cheers,

Louis

Just back from Malvern and hooked up with Louis and I am now the lucky owner of a rear tool bin for the MW

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84061[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84062[/ATTACH]

Day out with the shot blaster and a bit of straightening and it should be ok according to Louis this came of an Areoscreen MW which is fitting, big thanks to Louis :tup::

Hi Louis yes good to meet you too at Malvern, did you find any bargains ? after a chat with Rippo I have decided to keep the tool locker and fit it to my truck, I have removed the rails already and as you say its better than nothing I will make up a new cradle to fit to it :-D so thank you for the the locker will post some pictures as its restored.