Bedford MWD restoration

• 2 weeks later...

Spent Sat fixing the rear floor boards down and fitting trap, will need to make the catches also started sorting the rear frame to carry the sideboards.

This eve I started assembling the mirrors

100_5465.jpg

100_5472.jpg

I now have a set for the Bedford and for the Champ if I decide to fit a pair to it plus a spare.

Back down t'shed again while the petrol tanks are drying ready to be sealed I had a go at sorting the lower side panels on the rear body

100_5488.jpg

fitted the rubbing strakes as well

100_5490.jpg

100_5491.jpg

100_5492.jpg

and made a new edge strip to the bottom edge of the rear tailgate.

Edited by rampant rivet

Had a great Wkend doing a 500+ mile road trip to collect the tyres I need for the MW Many thanks Tim :-D plus a full set of canvas which is the dogs do dah's Many thanks Frank :-D staying the night at bob the builders to spend Sunday morning taking more measurements and pics of his immaculate MW to help with all the little details :-D then down the M6 to junction 15 to pick up some more goodies from Paul :-D I'd like to thank you all for your kindness and hospitality its what I think this hobby is all about :-D the van was full so thought it was time to return home !!

Will post pics when I've recovered :nut:

Edited by rampant rivet

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After a quick visit to the wartime in the vale sort out at Evesham it was back to playing with the the MW, have had the tin cover for the wood bulkhead / bonnet support folded and am continuing work on the wheel box's unfortunately the camera has gone AWOL so you'll have to use your imagination folks :-D

100_5697.jpg

Aha the camera has been found hiding in plain sight :wow: hope to cut the wheel arches out tomo.

Edited by rampant rivet
add pic

A day spent in the shed tucked out of the way of some nasty weather !

100_5700.jpg

Both wheel boxes complete apart from making the steel liners plus paint.

100_5699.jpg

Wheel arch cut out on near side panel plus edge capping fitted.

100_5698.jpg

Also timber rubbing strips trial fitted ready for steel capping, next the off side arch to finish then lots of fiddling and paint before I start on fitting hinges and top side panels.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much happening on the MW lately did a bit of painting to the rear wheel arch boxes last Sat then went to the classic car show at the NEC on Sunday which was a good if long day out, managed to pic up a NOS horn for the jeep and a NOS switch for my spare starter motor for the Bedford which I'll rebuild over the winter.

Managed to squeeze in a couple of hours on the bonnet-bulkhead timber tinwork today but it was brrrrr in't shed

PA210422.jpg

The problem I have is that I am not absolutely sure on the details of this early type of bonnet support.

PA210423.jpg

I only have some grainy pics of which to work from.

PA210424.jpg

PA210428.jpg

But this is roughly how its gonna look :wow:

PA210430.jpg

Bit more fettling before I'm happy but its off to Malvern tomo, who knows what goodies will lighten my pocket :cool2:

Help needed please guys, I need to make a pair of aeroscreens for the Bedford so if anyone can supply me with some nice detailed photos plus measurements I would be most grateful, this is one of the last things missing for the truck and I want to make them over the xmas hols, a sort of present to myself so to speak :-D seriously folks any info much appreciated.

Thanks J.

Did some more fettling of the bulkhead tinwork today

100_5744.jpg

100_5745.jpg

Have started on the wings as I want to get the front end finished before xmas hopefully :-D

Edited by rampant rivet

• 2 weeks later...

Nuther day hiding out in't shed had to fix the welder first thing :shocked: then spent the rest of the day fettling the front wings, they are nearly ready for paint, then it was time to fit the rear fitting for the bonnet hinge bar.

100_5766.jpg

100_5770.jpg

Also fitted the side timbers to the bulkhead but have not cut them to length yet.

Edited by rampant rivet

Friday afternoons lesson was DO NOT !!! rush a job and end up attacking the ends of your fingers with a power plane !!! coz it stings a bit :cry: at least I had the dust bag attached to catch the grisly bits :wow:, so todays activities down t'shed were a tad subdued but I did manage to set out and fix some of the cab fittings.

100_5772.jpg

100_5775.jpg

Even managed the rifle clip.

100_5779.jpg

Plus the elusive holder for the spare spark plugs :-D