Bedford MWD restoration

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been a quiet weekend down't shed, picked up the paint sat morning then had to sort out some storage and fix up a new LED strip light that was donated to the cause, what difference adequate lighting makes !

Only managed to fit the bckts to the drivers side mud flaps and got round to bolting the rear body to the chassis bit more of a tidy up ready to turn the truck around to access the offside and henry hoover had a beating cleaning all the sawdust and crap out of the rear body.

At the risk of hijacking my own thread I managed to spray my helmets for want of a better expression on Sunday having already given them a coat of truck green it didn't take too much paint to bring them up to snuff.

100_6461.jpg

Difficult to see with the flash on the camera but the overturned helmet has original paint dating from 1939 the other has the new finish.

100_6459.jpg

The helmet upper right also has the original paint which looks a closer match. Next thing is to sort out the blanco for some webbing will be making my own I think.

Edited by rampant rivet

Ok back to the MW, as the sun was shining and I'm a year older today it was an early finish at work and off down t'shed to play :D finally managed to get some paint on the engine panels

20170302_154655.jpg

20170302_154701.jpg

Plus my mate Neil donated this 1939 dated large ammo box :D

20170302_164310.jpg

Will need to do some research as to what it was used to store.

20170302_154655.jpg

20170302_154701.jpg

20170302_164310.jpg

These pictures are history, vehicles in use by opposing forces. Showing what actually happened on the battlefield. Very important to see how vehicles evolved over their model life cycle for restorers. Also it is interesting to see the uses that they were put to. It would be easy to imagine the soildiers were on a joint excercise. Fast forward just a few years.

What is the code stamped in the lid of the box? I think it could be a document storage chest or the like, rather than a standard ammo box.

OK have done a bit of carefull cleaning and so far have uncovered these markings -

6 CHARGES PROJECTOR

FZE ELEC

LOT A 7243

On the lid is stamped A12

ELX 1 1939

The box measures 26" x 17" and is 8.5" deep

20170302_170547.jpg

20170302_164352.jpg

20170302_164342.jpg

20170302_170532.jpg

Be nice to know it's original use :D

20170302_170547.jpg

20170302_164352.jpg

20170302_164342.jpg

20170302_170532.jpg

While the box may have had a prior use for something official.

Seeing it has a personal name painted on it, I would hazard a guess that it was the owners spare kit and goody box.

If you had a regular vehicle most people would amass a bit of spare kit somewhere.

I know I always had an old ammo box with some tools above the official CES issue and odd bits in it that made life a bit easier.

While the box may have had a prior use for something official.

Seeing it has a personal name painted on it, I would hazard a guess that it was the owners spare kit and goody box.

If you had a regular vehicle most people would amass a bit of spare kit somewhere.

I know I always had an old ammo box with some tools above the official CES issue and odd bits in it that made life a bit easier.

Yes that's exactly what I intend to use it for myself I'll probably bolt it down in't back of the truck and use it as secure storage, whilst keeping the original finish just be nice to know it's original use.

The photo book is on captured Bedford MW-MWD 15cwt trucks , its a photo book with over 100 original wartime photos that i have spent years collecting, so i thought i might print some of my photos in a 80 page hardback book,i will get my first copy next week to see how it is then put more info with the photos. i will print one book at a time to order, so if you own a Bedford MWD i can add it in the photo book. i will make no money from it as i have spent so much buying the photos and will put the money into buying more photos.

I dont think i will print many .

I have all so a photo book on captured Morris CS8 15cwt trucks, Captured Bedford OYD & OXD trucks a lot of my photos are in the MVT Windscreen magazine.

The pictures are from my pc so not clear. This i just a hobby to make a few books.

I used to own a 1944 Morris C8

Keith

morris book.jpg

book mw 1.JPG

book mw 2.JPG

book mw 3.JPG

book mw 4.JPG

book mw 5.JPG

morris book.jpg

book mw 1.JPG

book mw 2.JPG

book mw 3.JPG

book mw 4.JPG

book mw 5.JPG

Edited by Morris C8

I seem to recall reading about an airfeild defence system used during the battle of Britain where rockets carrying a wire rope were fired in front of oncoming enemy aircraft I cannot remember what it was called or the caliber of the rockets used will continue to trawl my book collection in the hope of more info, could this box have been used to carry the charges as I'm struggling to think of anything else that used electric fused charges.

Bit more progress today with the passenger side rear wheel box being finished

20170304_172101.jpg

Then it was time to fire the old girl up and get it out of the shed, that's after removing all the accumulated crap from under it :D

20170304_172040.jpg

I have to complete a number of jobs on the drivers side so need to turn the truck around to allow access.

20170304_172051.jpg

20170304_172130.jpg

20170304_173455.jpg

Safely back in loads of stuff to do.

Looking splendid out in the sunshine Jeremy, you've obviously had better weather than we have further west !!

the anti aircraft system you are thinking of is the The Parachute and Cable Defense System also known as as “Fizzing Onions” this was made up of boxes containing the rockets and cables raised above the ground by 2 feet and the boxes were set out in lines with 60ft between each box. When fired electrically 480ft of of steel cable rose to an altitude of 600ft, a parachute would open slowing the descent of the cable the idea being that enemy aircraft would fly into the forest of cables, when the increased drag on the aircraft would put the aircraft out of control.

Funnily enough I have just been writing about the use of this system in a piece I'm currently working on

Pete

Yes Pete but only just managed to dodge the showers, as regards the box yes that's what I'd read about somewhere but not sure if the cables were fired out of a tube or drawn out by a rocket type projectile what got me thinking was the stencil 6 CHARGES PROJECTOR FZE ELEC as it doesn't sound like artillery to me.

Yes Pete but only just managed to dodge the showers, as regards the box yes that's what I'd read about somewhere but not sure if the cables were fired out of a tube or drawn out by a rocket type projectile what got me thinking was the stencil 6 CHARGES PROJECTOR FZE ELEC as it doesn't sound like artillery to me.

The rockets were electrically fired out of launching tubes, early examples had one end the steel cable attached to the rocket and the rest was wound onto a drum fixed beside the launching tube, latter examples had a second larger parachute in a box beside the launching tube attached to the bottom end of the cable. The idea being that if a cable was snagged by a plane the larger chute would also deploy and produce extra drag.

Pete