rampant rivet

Bedford MWD restoration

Looking great .

Did you have the 7/8" timber boards milled somewhere ?

I guess that each of the 15cwt manufacturers made their own GS bodies to a common plan. I have one original wooden side GS body section from a Morris CS8 body , the same style of cast brass tag was used .

Had all new sub floor frame timbers made by my friendly joiners shop then assembled it myself, I can email you details if interested plus I have the floor board details

The sideboards were avaliable from my local timber suppliers from stock all I needed to do was run a chamfer on some of the edges and rip some down for width where necessary. As I had the original body sides etc they were a very usefull reference source and provided all the fittings and fixtures.

Floor board details would be good for me too Jez !;)

Hi Andy thought I 'do sent you them via email, if not I'll have a rummage and send them on to you.

Bl**dy cold down't shed today with snow and sleet showers so the thermals were on !!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123288[/ATTACH]

Sod the weather I wanted to push on with welding the fittings and mesh in position on the panels.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123289[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123292[/ATTACH]

Finally they are sorted :-D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123290[/ATTACH]

Drivers side too :-D just a bit more finishing before paint.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123291[/ATTACH]

Even managed to find time to fit another mudguard.

Thats a nice side panel you have there :P

Jeremy,

I want to convert the back of my MW to have bench seats made from scratch, ideally going over the wheel arch boxes. I want to pop the spare wheel in the centre of the rear cab behind the driver and have 2 jerry cans on the left. Do you have any reference for bench seats? or could you advise on how I should go about this please?

Could you suggest a good wood to use and what you would recommend as supports for the benches please?

Hi luke

Long time no hear :-D Yes made my own panels in the end as regards to bench seats, are you intending to carry passengers in the back of your truck ? as you may need to be carefull regarding the law and insurance I'm sure someone on here will know more than me on that issue, it might pay to post a question elsewhere on this issue.

As for timber do you just want slatted seats made out of 2x1 pse runners, a bit like airing cupboard shelving. That's probably the best and easiest way to go using European redwood from your local builders merchants,

Hi luke

Long time no hear :-D Yes made my own panels in the end as regards to bench seats, are you intending to carry passengers in the back of your truck ? as you may need to be carefull regarding the law and insurance I'm sure someone on here will know more than me on that issue, it might pay to post a question elsewhere on this issue.

As for timber do you just want slatted seats made out of 2x1 pse runners, a bit like airing cupboard shelving. That's probably the best and easiest way to go using European redwood from your local builders merchants,

Hi Jeremy,

Just for use at ww2 events, when the canvas is down if we're using the vehicle, wouldn't be for use to transport passengers on the road. I know the stuff you mean, will look into it thank you - the side panels you've made look great!

Thanks luke yes the panels turned out ok in the end, now I think about it I'm collecting B.E.F. kit to go with the truck and have a number of tin hats that I want to repaint to the original 39/40 colour, any idea what it should be ?

Thanks luke yes the panels turned out ok in the end, now I think about it I'm collecting B.E.F. kit to go with the truck and have a number of tin hats that I want to repaint to the original 39/40 colour, any idea what it should be ?
when we portrayed the 2nd Essex BEF we asked the same question and were told " a greeny browny baby poo", I will take a photo for you of what we went for and also what the remaining bef group uses.

Here are some pics of my 100% original 1939 dated Mk.II helmet. The colour seems to be a greenish-brown with a grey-ish green overpaint that reportedly is an army non-reflective coating. I have no idea when this coating was applied; the greenish hue is better visible on the photo of the chinstrap lug at the inside. Although these pics are made with a flash the colour seems to be a relatively good match compared to the actual helmet in hand. Remember this paint is almost 80 years old and well worn; it will have looked a bit different when fresh. :-D

Hope that helps a bit! ;)

935791d1455744432-mkii-mki-earlier-helmets-steel-british-commonwealth-show-yours-2016-02-17-22.11.04.jpg

935792d1455746415-mkii-mki-earlier-helmets-steel-british-commonwealth-show-yours-2016-02-17-21.59.48.jpg

935790d1455744426-mkii-mki-earlier-helmets-steel-british-commonwealth-show-yours-2016-02-17-22.00.15.jpg

Edited by earlymb

Thanks for the pics ,I searched through my collection of 30 odd helmets and have found one 39 dated example with the inside original paint still present that looks very similar in colour to your helmet, am going to see my paint supplier on Sat to mix some more of the good stuff for the MW so will ask if they will make up some spray cans of the baby pooish colour :-D

100_6453.jpg

100_6452.jpg

first two without flash

100_6450.jpg

100_6451.jpg

second two with.

Edited by rampant rivet

Today I have been mainly bashing the living daylights out of the rear wheel arches.

100_6457.jpg

NS rear wheel removed to allow inner wheel arch panel to be fitted.

100_6454.jpg

One end panel.

100_6456.jpg

End panel with bend.

100_6458.jpg

End panel temporarily fitted prior to paint , which reminds me that I managed to scoot up to Middletons in Gloucester first thing this morning to order another gal of the green stuff plus some touch up spray cans and left the slightly bemused staff with the tin helmet as a pattern for a couple of cans of baby pooey greenish paint will be interesting to see what a newly painted lid will look like.

Edited by rampant rivet

Nice work! Don't forget that combat helmets had a rough finish against glare, usually achieved by adding sand to the paint; while non-combat helmets (like those for the Home Guard) didn't have that. For examples see the War Relics Forum.

sorry not all B.E.F helmets had sand in them,a lot still had their pre-war finish which is chocolate colour.

Mmmmmmmm the plot thickens :-D just trawled through quite a few pathe newsreels from the B. E. F. Period and most helmets look to have a smooth eggshell finish with some having covers of some kind Maybe hessian ?

I can only comment about a single 1939 dated helmet I have in hand, and that had a rough texture. Could be field-applied though. ;)

Well its been a quiet weekend down't shed, picked up the paint sat morning then had to sort out some storage and fix up a new LED strip light that was donated to the cause, what difference adequate lighting makes !

Only managed to fit the bckts to the drivers side mud flaps and got round to bolting the rear body to the chassis bit more of a tidy up ready to turn the truck around to access the offside and henry hoover had a beating cleaning all the sawdust and crap out of the rear body.

At the risk of hijacking my own thread I managed to spray my helmets for want of a better expression on Sunday having already given them a coat of truck green it didn't take too much paint to bring them up to snuff.

100_6461.jpg

Difficult to see with the flash on the camera but the overturned helmet has original paint dating from 1939 the other has the new finish.

100_6459.jpg

The helmet upper right also has the original paint which looks a closer match. Next thing is to sort out the blanco for some webbing will be making my own I think.

Edited by rampant rivet

I think those turned out quite well!

Now to find the correct webbing for B.E.F... :-D

Ok back to the MW, as the sun was shining and I'm a year older today it was an early finish at work and off down t'shed to play :D finally managed to get some paint on the engine panels

20170302_154655.jpg

20170302_154701.jpg

Plus my mate Neil donated this 1939 dated large ammo box :D

20170302_164310.jpg

Will need to do some research as to what it was used to store.

20170302_154655.jpg

20170302_154701.jpg

20170302_164310.jpg

Happy birthday to you

happy birthday to you

you probably know the rest and lovely looking peace of kit

What is the code stamped in the lid of the box? I think it could be a document storage chest or the like, rather than a standard ammo box.

What a great job you are doing on your Bedford MWD.

I have a few original photos [ 107 of them ] taken during the war , most in german use. here a few from my book.

Keith

bedford mw 32.jpg

bedford mw 30.jpg

bedford mw 19.jpg

bedford mw 11.jpg

bef. captured  bedford mw 1940.jpg

bedford mw 32.jpg

bedford mw 30.jpg

bedford mw 19.jpg

bedford mw 11.jpg

bef. captured  bedford mw 1940.jpg

These pictures are history, vehicles in use by opposing forces. Showing what actually happened on the battlefield. Very important to see how vehicles evolved over their model life cycle for restorers. Also it is interesting to see the uses that they were put to. It would be easy to imagine the soildiers were on a joint excercise. Fast forward just a few years.