rampant rivet

Bedford MWD restoration

Thanks Pete

The two pressings are a cheat, I used a couple of lengths of left over half round rubbing strips from the rear body drilled some holes then plug welded through the door before fitting the pocket that hold the drivers booklet, bit of filler and job done 😉

I managed the rivets by cutting them slightly over length then with a lump hammer acting as a bit of an anvil I dressed the end of the rivets over with the round end of a ball pein hammer untill they were tight, as the rivets act more as locators rather than being structural, the tool bin being cradled in the frames which are bolted to the body.

Ah that explains it then, the thing that drew my attention to the pressings was the sharp edge finish I thought you either had a really heavy duty press and die or a rolling wheel, still full marks for ingenuity Jez like it.

In the same spirit of Iv'e just nicked an aluminium saucepan from the kitchen and turned it into the base of a Vokes air cleaner body (more of that another time in the Retriever thread) unless it's loss is detected :angry in which case I'm brown bread

Keep the photos coming

Pete

Hey Jeremy,

I got round head rivets here if you need any. various sizes too

Cheers,

Colin

Thanks Colin

How's it going ? We must catch up soon I think there will be a meeting regarding the Normandy trip probably the first week of Feb 😁 roll on the summer 😁

At last ! its nearly there thanks Pete, saucepan tale made me smile just been threatened with certain things should I even consider doing the same.

100_6418.jpg

Just a bit of the green paint needed.

100_6419.jpg

And some final fixing holes when its taken back down t'shed.

100_6420.jpg

Hopefully should pass the 5 yard test for all the rivet counters.

Edited by rampant rivet

Looking great ! I am working on my similar box for the Morris C4.

It's just a bit simpler as it is not fitted on to the rear cross member.

Guy

Nice work Jeremy you can do another for me while you

Are on the heat the second is easier they say ha ha

Looking forword to photo finish keep it up

Thanks chaps next on the list are the rear wheel box's then the bow hoops, may use it with just the tonneau as per as it came out of the factory to start with.

It looks nearly there but there are still a lot of finishing details to do :nut:

We need a pair too ;)

Nice work Jeremy you can do another for me while you

Are on the heat the second is easier they say ha ha

Looking forword to photo finish keep it up

Thanks James I'd like to be able to make some more but am pressed for time getting the MW finished and I am due to return the original tool bin I used as a pattern when I go to stoneleigh in a week or so.

Great day at Stoneleigh, not much in the way of mw parts but there's not much on my wanted list now :-D great to meet up with lots of fellow mw owners as usual.

Yesterday was a good day down't shed.

100_6429.jpg

started cutting and prepping the rear wheel arch box's.

100_6431.jpg

Managed to fit the tool bin and give it a coat of the green stuff.

100_6432.jpg

Then a bit more fettling on the engine panels.

Great day at Stoneleigh, not much in the way of mw parts but there's not much on my wanted list now :-D great to meet up with lots of fellow mw owners as usual.

Yesterday was a good day down't shed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122881[/ATTACH]

started cutting and prepping the rear wheel arch box's.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122883[/ATTACH]

Managed to fit the tool bin and give it a coat of the green stuff.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122885[/ATTACH]

Then a bit more fettling on the engine panels.

Nice tool box ...where did you get that from........LOL . Good to see you today. :thumbsup:

Had a few minutes to spare at work yesterday and managed to cut out the vents apertures

20170131_103501.jpg

20170131_103439.jpg

Need to form the top edge next then the mesh.

20170131_103429.jpg

Had a few minutes to spare at work yesterday and managed to cut out the vents apertures

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122949[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122951[/ATTACH]

Need to form the top edge next then the mesh.

Be careful Jez ...the Boss might see this !!! :cool2:

Today I have been mainly beating the engine panels into shape :-D

100_6433.jpg

Made the hooks and things first.

100_6435.jpg

Then the top edge which I will joggle tomorrow.

100_6434.jpg

I also made some countersunk bolts used to fix the tool box to the rear cross member on the MW.

Today I have been mainly beating the engine panels into shape :-D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123021[/ATTACH]

Made the hooks and things first.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123022[/ATTACH]

Then the top edge which I will joggle tomorrow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123025[/ATTACH]

I also made some countersunk bolts used to fix the tool box to the rear cross member on the MW.

I spy military motorcycle parts !!! :cool2:

Yes a couple of folding oil cans :-D Few more hours spent down't shed

100_6438.jpg

Finally managed to fit the tool bin.

100_6437.jpg

100_6441.jpg

100_6442.jpg

And the securing strap for the water or fuel can.

100_6443.jpg

Then ran out of time again regarding the engine panels though the joggled edge along the top edge is sorted .

Edited by rampant rivet

Am making some rifle butt holders at the mo and can make more depending on interest, am also doing the timber door jambs for the later MW cabs again depending on interest as to numbers produced = cost

046.jpg

Jeremy,

I love the engine side panels and tool boxes...really nicely done! You have come a long way with your restoration.

Am making some rifle butt holders at the mo and can make more depending on interest

I wonder if these are the same as the ones used on the CMPs(?). I was looking at making a set for my Chev soon, but it's the inside that has been puzzeling me...as the flat part where the rear of the rifle sits on, is slightly sloped to match the rear of the rifle.

But anyway, if the design is the same, than I am definately interested in a set of 2.

Alex

Edited by Alex van de Wetering

Hi Alex thanks for the kind words as it's probably my last long term restoration so I'm making it the best I can, plus I hope to keep the MW for a long time.

Yes the rifle stock holders are the same and yes the inside of the rifle holder is angled and now the blanks have been made I need to work out how to do it :cool2: will post some pics when I get time to work on them.

Jeremy,

I didn't want to "dump" the question on you if the CMP holders are the same.....but I just couldn't find the drawing fast enough :-D. But, good to hear they are the same....so I am definately interested if you are making a small series.

Here is one of the threads on MLU, showing how others made the rifle butts: (not that you are a novice working with wood....;))http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?p=193447

regards,

Alex

Thank for the link mmmmmmmm yes I was thinking along those lines but may make a couple of jigs and use a router instead, will put two aside for you :-D

Bl**dy cold down't shed today with snow and sleet showers so the thermals were on !!

100_6447.jpg

Sod the weather I wanted to push on with welding the fittings and mesh in position on the panels.

100_6445.jpg

100_6446.jpg

Finally they are sorted :-D

100_6448.jpg

Drivers side too :-D just a bit more finishing before paint.

100_6449.jpg

Even managed to find time to fit another mudguard.