Bedford MWD restoration

Did a quick sprint around the ross auto jumble this morning, slim pickings but did find a nice 1940 dated British ammo box but nowt else then off t'shed.

Finally have second wheel free from its hub what a job !!

001 (2).jpg

Have made up a spare wheel / tyre for the water tanker trailer then spent the afternoon sandblasting and etch priming a couple of late pattern engine side panels hope they are ok Kevin ;)

009 (3).jpg

Next job is to get the wheel rims split and the trakgrips saved only one wheel looks ok to use but hopefully there should be some spare wheels nuts off the rotten one.

• 4 weeks later...

Found this waiting for me in the greenhouse when I got home from work this afternoon :-D

086.jpg

I have a number of these jacks already its the top extension piece that I want :cool2:

087.jpg

088.jpg

Not a lot else happening on the Bedford at the mo as I have been away to steam rallies most weekends for the last month or so but hope to make good progress soon.

At last some free time to spend on't truck down't shed

007 (3).jpg

006 (3).jpg

Drilled and fitted the bckts for the front cab hoops and had a go at a trial fit.

009 (4).jpg

010 (2).jpg

Then dropped the new canvas cab cover on to see if its a good fit, I think the whole lot will need lifting a couple of inches or so to make a better look, will leave the canvas on for a while to let it settle then adjust the uprights.

Edited by rampant rivet

Thanks pete spent nearly 4 hrs fiddling with those bow hoops etc but it was nice to see the canvas go on even if its just temporary.

011 (2).jpg

Gave the jack top not thingy extension a quick blast and coat of satin black to make it look all nice, its the little things like finding one of these rare beasties that makes this resto hobby so satisfying.

Now the Railway contract has come to an end I have my life back again :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]114852[/ATTACH]

Tried a SMLE in the clips just to check for clearances and gave the front end a final coat of paint before starting to look a the spare engine block I found in the Cotswolds this morning.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]114853[/ATTACH]

This really did look like a boat anchor but after a good clean up its on standard bores is in good shape and is stamped with an MW prefix so looks like its going to be rebuilt as a spare unit. Likewise the crank is 20 thou undersize so should be able to use that as well.

Just wondered was this the one you had from me ..or another? :D

Nuther few hours trying to sort the bckts that hold the cab tilt frame

[ATTACH=CONFIG]117961[/ATTACH]

Harwood blocks to fit behind the tubing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]117962[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]117963[/ATTACH]

A time consuming job but worth it, don't miss the next exciting episode when I should manage to fit it all together for the final time folks :D

Where these blocks fitted to all MWs or just the early ones do you know? Mine's pretty original and does not have them????

Where these blocks fitted to all MWs or just the early ones do you know? Mine's pretty original and does not have them????

Andy mines a 43 and it has the wooden blocks fitted , I've not replaced mine they are original to the truck .

Out of interest what colour and brand of paint did you use for your restoration? Is it a good match for what was under the old voltage regulator and presumably a Khaki G3 colour?

G3 came before the SCC.2 Brown you found on the Steering box.

Edited by LarryH57

The paint is cellulose and was mixed for me by Middleton paint of Gloucester they used a sample to mix the colour from . I did ask for the formula but he does it by eye not machine it's a tricky colour as it looks green sometimes then brown depending on the light conditions .

Edited by rampant rivet

Few more hours tonight in't shed finally the cab hoop bows are fitted / painted etc :-D next sort rear tyres then back to the wiring loom.

One thing I am looking to get made is the lubrication chart that was fitted to the underside of the bonnet on early MW's does anyone have an image of this chart ? was it etched brass or ? I have the hole centres which are 213mm x 287 mm so I know roughly what size it should be I just don't know what it looks like.

Cheers RR.

Nuther few hours trying to sort the bckts that hold the cab tilt frame

[ATTACH=CONFIG]117961[/ATTACH]

Harwood blocks to fit behind the tubing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]117962[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]117963[/ATTACH]

A time consuming job but worth it, don't miss the next exciting episode when I should manage to fit it all together for the final time folks :D

Hi Jez .. what material of tube, diameter and wall thickness are you using please?

Good day playing with t'truck managed to do some more work on the loom and cab fittings , its always surprising how many small jobs there are that are needed to be completed just to get one item sorted, todays task was to make up the two battery leads which meant completing the fixings to the stowage box adjusting clips for the starting handle, fixing block of wood for the lower end of the same, deciding where the four clips should go to take the jack handle extension pieces, position the battery box before drilling the holes for the cables, and then finally making up the leads.

2016-08-26 13.20.16.jpg

bedford truck cab canvas 008.jpg

bedford truck cab canvas 012.jpg

Hopefully more progress and pics Monday :-D