Bedford MWD restoration

Bedford 28HP rule No 1

If you have it this far down, replace the core plug on the back of the block hidden by the bell housing.

Do all of them, of course, but do the one hidden by the bell housing or you WILL regret it later .... :blush:

Cheers John will add them to the list need a clutch thrust bearing and prob a clutch plate but will take clutch out to see what cond its in, I have just finished the last of the four aero screen patterns just need to paint them tomo and I'll send you some pics to see if they pass quality control ;)

rippo said:

Edited by rampant rivet

Have managed to get to the rear core plug having removed the bell housing.

100_2812.jpg

100_2811.jpg

not looking much like an engine now :embarrassed:

100_2810.jpg

Having removed all the in and ex valves it was obvious they needed fettling so I took the head to Moss Engineering in Ledbury and they refaced all the valves and recut the valve seats plus they refaced the manifold jointing face as this had suffered from heat damage.

100_2814.jpg

100_2813.jpg

They turned it around in a day and only charged £90 inc vat :D am off to Dorset tommo to look at a jeep for a mate and hope to pick up all the necessary gaskets , clutch plate etc which should get the engine clutch and gearbox sorted :D

Edited by rampant rivet

Now heres the question I am rebuilding the head on the Mw and noted that there were only caps and felt seals on the inlet valves on the exhaust there were only the base of the caps that retain the felt washers, should I stick with this which I believe was the set up for leaded petrol or what ? as I will be using unleaded with an additive should I fit the felt washers and cup on the exhaust valve stems as well ? :undecided: help please.

RR.

RR

Picked up parts today from Chris Morter including a new exhaust valve, in conversation found out that there are two types of exhaust valves those that are the same thickness as the inlet valves and others with thicker stems. I have the thicker ones, and the same head set up that you have

Andy

Do you have the .402" stems ? as mine are .340" and do you have the same arrangement with the felt seals on the inlets ? was you exhaust valve shot ? I thought mine were as there were pitted but was lucky to have been able to have them refaced.

Now heres the question I am rebuilding the head on the Mw and noted that there were only caps and felt seals on the inlet valves on the exhaust there were only the base of the caps that retain the felt washers, should I stick with this which I believe was the set up for leaded petrol or what ? as I will be using unleaded with an additive should I fit the felt washers and cup on the exhaust valve stems as well ? :undecided: help please.

RR.

Before the oil pump is sorted I thought I'd look at the master cylinder, eeeeeek !! well after a bit of heat and a very large spanner I managed to take the thing apart and unfortunately the bore has suffered from corrosion and will need to be sleeved, anybody know of a reliable company that can do this ? also the filler cap is so corroded its beyond help so if anyone has spare they don't need then I'd be very gratefull.

100_2825.jpg

100_2823.jpg

Another question I have pondered over is that of paint, I was chatting to john "rippo" the other night and mentioned that the chassis, axles, steps etc were all painted black with no trace of army green anywhere, was this the standard finish on early MW's ? were the cab and body only painted in the army green ?

The black paint certainly looks original and its present between the wing bckts and chassis as well as the bckts for the rad, I would like to put the vehicle back to its original state as near as pos and if the chassis was black then that whats its going to be :nut:

Bedford used a black primer , I found it on most of my Bedford , mudguards and bonnet included. over it was this early british olive drab , inside the dash it was well preserved , over it was another coat olive drab , and than a rather greenish paint finish with no markings and finally a coat white , and red as final coat .

This black primer is far superior to the olive drab they used , so maybe it came off during the years , on my chassis under the body there were only few spots were the olive drab was still attached.

Not too much happening with the mw this wkend as the weather was sooooo nice took the champ to a local steam rally on sunday and only did a few hrs today.

100_2831.jpg

have loosely fitted reconditioned head

100_2830.jpg

and replaced all the rotten core plugs will look at gearbox and air compressor next along with the the generator.

• 4 weeks later...

Things are tootling along quietly have stripped and cleaned the tyre pump and am about to sort the gearbox, have sorted the inlet ex manifold which took a bit as every bolt and nut was rusted solid but now its ready to go back on.

100_3034.jpg

have taken nearside front brake drum off to inspect and it looks better than I thought

100_3031.jpg

am off to pick up the castings for the aero screens from the foundry in Bristol tomo then off to meet up with John north of Birmingham who will machine them, then I plan to drop my master cylinder off at Stourport on Severn to be sleeved and rebuilt on the way home I think that'll do for now :D

Great to meet up with you today John and thanks for the spares much appreciated :D have fitted the gasket to the manifold now its ready to back on the engine, the water pump and pulley has been cleaned and has a coat of primer keen or what !!!

100_3036.jpg

managed to drop off the master cylinder to be sleeved and rebuilt :-D looking forward to seeing the aero screen bckts after machining.

RR

Had A few hours on the engine today fitting various bits n bobs but forgot to take the 1st motion shaft down to enable me to centralize the clutch plate so will have to do that before I can rebuild the gearbox

100_3051.jpg

looks a bit better coming back together

100_3052.jpg

100_3053.jpg

Talking to John the other day about what type of fan to use as I have two different patterns and am not sure which one is correct for the early MW.

100_3055.jpg

Silver one on left was fitted to my MW, blue / green one on right I picked up at the Dallas digout but which should I use ?

Hi all

I am in the process of restoring an early Mw Aero screen, at the moment I am looking for an original MW near to me that I could visit to measure and photo the cab floor, it looks as though my floor had been replaced sometime in its life and I have no reference as to its original dimensions / details etc etc so anyone in the Gloucestershire / Monmothshire area that could help me out I would be very gratefull.

Cheers RR.

Hi John Hmmm not sure about bolts now you mention it, I'll ask my supplier

If only the girlfriend was so happy about these little bits of metal, should have seen her face when she walked in and they were spread over the floor. First thing she said is what do you want all them for!!!!

Jereny, the bolts you have holding your manifolds together look like soft ones and will stretch, have you got others, high tensile?

Best wishes

At last :D found this waiting at the post office this morning :rotfl:I'm not sure if its exactly the correct one but It'll do for me

100_3058.jpg

its about three inches in diameter and is going to live on the front of the Bedford :banana: :clap: :banana: am I happy NAH !!! not much !!!

Onto more serious work I picked up the rear lower roller bearing on my way home and have rebuilt most of the box this eve but will have to wait until Saturday until I sort the clutch before I can fit the first motion shaft.

100_3060.jpg

100_3062.jpg

Just the tyre pump to fit and then the top and .................................................................