• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking at the bell crank / cables arrangement it seems to me that something might extend out from the ends of the four arms, are the frame tubes square or round section?

Round in section, the controls move the position of the arms.

Well that took longer than expected. I've just been coerced into "upgrading" Photobucket. It took ages to upload this 50kb file just an excuse to show me more Wonga clips. Well I suppose they are right it is as they sat "beta.photobucket.com"

To me "beta" is the second letter of the Greek alphabet, ie it is 2nd rate. I think they mean it is "better" in which case it should be "better.photobucket.com" But it ain't.

After that outburst here is the clue, which is a bit of a giveaway :D

App3464a_zps2da30ccb.jpg

There appears to be a monitor in the driving compartment that suggests some sort of detection system that sweeps the ground, why it would need to do that behind as well beats me...

Or maybe it sprays adjustable width lines on the ground, like for marking runways or clear paths..seems too high for that though

Hovercraft conversion?

Yes in its broadest sense it is, well done!

Can any get the name of it?

It's purpose?

How it differed from a conventional hovercraft?

Who developed it?

For what country?

When?

Didn't you do well! :D

This was developed by Shorts in 1960 in response to FVRDE Design Spec 9258 for a light-weight land & air reconnaissance vehicle. There were another 6 or so companies who submitted their interpretation as to how to achieve the requirements for 'Project Prodigal'.

The central lift was provided by a Bristol-Siddley BS.59/11 lifting engine pointing upwards. The extending tubular arms controlled by compressed air bled from gas generator of the main engine provided pitch & roll.

When Bernard mentioned an amphibious mechanical frog I thought he was onto it, because this thing was for hedge hopping etc at about 10 ft above ground level capable of 60 knots.

I'll scan some pictures.

Here's four of them in action, looks a bit higher than 10ft.

Ah - I see now, I was seduced into thinking the circle in the centre was a turret ring. As a reconnaissance vehicle they wouldn't exactly have been stealthy, would they! :-)

Andy

Edited by andym