Vauxhall Ammo Tin ? Any ideas ?

Ian L

Many years ago, I attended an air show with the NW MVT at the Vauxhall plant at Ellesmere port. Cant remember all the details now, (it must have been around 1984), but I do recall a Vulcan doing one of the last official flights.

There were loads of those ammo tins lying around everywhere, discarded from the factory stores. One chap loaded his Hippo up with them. I think Antar was also there that weekend, and might remember it better.

Hi Ian

is there an impressed letter and number in the lid ?, like B.175 or something similar ? If so check the link below and you should be able to find what it was originally made to hold.

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/27615-Consolidated-List-Of-Containers

Regards Gary

Cheers Gary thats useful mate, I can check the ones I've got now,

• 5 months later...

hi i have just seen 2 of this type of ammo box today in a old shed covered in rust but i think sound [i think ] one is 1944 the other is 43 ,c219 cmc is the number on the 43 one ,not mine but may be available pm me if interested in somerset mike [chindit]

Any idea what this metal box was used for ? Stamped CMC 1944, was it an ammo box that was used by Vauxhall post war or is it a WW2 stores tin ?

I think P&A Dept was Parts & Accessories Dept and having worked for a company that also had a Bedford Vauxhall dealership in their group, I seem to recollect these boxes coming in on the regular stores delivery, they would then return empty, hence the serial number.

A lot of ammo boxes seemed to go commercial. I've seen a number with either firms names or individuals on them . DERA used to have them for transporting stuff about. There was a regular clear out every couple of years, it was take your place in the qeue. :D I have a number of wooden ex RAF bomb sight boxes. They had been used by the Natural History mueum to store samples.

Served my time with a vauxhall dealership in the 70s and yes these were used to transport parts to stores dept. I think they acquired them as surplus after war etc and put Ser No plate onto them as all were returnable on next delivery wagon heading back to main depot

gary