Any idea what these are ?

Ian L

Bizaire, I just run a search, doubting I would find anyting, but

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73794[/ATTACH]

Measuring Cup - sealed & dated 1945 certified 1½ gill. Stamped Dunnetts with ministry broad arrow. We are told that this was used for issuing Royal Navy Rum rations. http://www.oldnautibits.com/search/search_results.php?search_string=air+ministry+bell

The measure was of Grog! 1/3 rum 2/3 water. Unless you were Teetotal, or in boy service. Boy service got half, if you were TT it was signed alongside your name in the Ships Book and you recived 2 shillings a week (If I rember corectly) 'Sippers' was a Force barter, favour, that meant giving your ration to an Oppo. Stopped in 1979. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pusser's

Edited by Tony B

can you find any gil measures on the sides?

Sounds about right but rum measure in the RAF ? :confused:

maybe the RAF made them as the Navy boys were already sloshed :D

Kinda makes you feel ripped of as a full shot at the pub aint that big

Rum wasn't only issued to the Navy, the army and air force were issued it as well (SRD Stoneware flagons) for use in cold weather, in army it was usually in form of 'gunfire' tea n rum first thing in morning, can only think similar for returning aircrews after a night bombing sortie after freezing their doodahs off at a few thousand feet for a few hours. lol

Hurrah!something on here that i know something about!!!

these are tin cups from the top of Army or RAF medic waterbottles.they are larger than standard WW2 waterbottles and were supplied to medics,stretcher bearers and also kept in medical panniers.

Yep, I got one of those medical waterbottles and cup, mine is army.

• 1 month later...