New M20 owner

T.Watts

Well then, I have always wanted a Bsa M20 and at the weekend I finally took the plunge and bought one! :-D

I went and had a look at it and heard it running etc and it sounded fine, but as with most things I won't really know how good it is until I have had a good trundle about on it.

I will post some pictures of it when I collect it, have never owned or had anything to do with one before so it will be bit of a learning curve working stuff out on it once we have it unloaded off the trailer at home, at least we have plenty of land to have a play on before venturing out onto the road!!

Any particular tips for riding and maintenance/common problems to look out for?

Very straightforward bike to work on and ride. Get a manual and you can't go far wrong. Bookmark this site

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&cmd=show

and have a good look through all the posts, most of the answers to the common problems are on there. Very helpful bunch of owners who are friendly and helpful to new owners - and you wont be plagued by the drivel that sometimes finds it way in to the threads on here.(Not from the bike owners I hasten to add :-), many of whom are on the other one as well )

• 2 weeks later...

Have now got the m20 back home, had a small job to do on the kickstarter as it wasn't engaging every time, also fitted a new throttle.

Went out for a ride on it today, but found it had a bit of a wheel wobble at certain speeds, hopefully it is just a tyre as the ones that are on it are a bit knackered, either that or the road as it only did it on the same stretch of road and nowhere else!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

BSA M20 motorcycle.jpgOur sons M20. When you say that you have wheel wobble, have you checked the tyre pressures, if under inflated it will roll all over the place. The M20 is a lovely bike to ride, the gear change is rather slow, does`nt like to be rushed. I always pushed through the gears slowly and held it in gear until I had released the clutch, that way I never missed any gears........ it will give you hours of fun.

Speaking of colours i believe my one was originally black, well it was before it was restored anyway a few years ago ( long before i bought it). I have got some photos off of a previous owner which show it in "original" black if you would be interested in seeing them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73868[/ATTACH]Our sons M20. When you say that you have wheel wobble, have you checked the tyre pressures, if under inflated it will roll all over the place. The M20 is a lovely bike to ride, the gear change is rather slow, does`nt like to be rushed. I always pushed through the gears slowly and held it in gear until I had released the clutch, that way I never missed any gears........ it will give you hours of fun.

Lovely bike you have there Ray

Ernest

Have now got the m20 back home, had a small job to do on the kickstarter as it wasn't engaging every time, also fitted a new throttle.

Went out for a ride on it today, but found it had a bit of a wheel wobble at certain speeds, hopefully it is just a tyre as the ones that are on it are a bit knackered, either that or the road as it only did it on the same stretch of road and nowhere else!

Congratulations on you new purchase Nice machine Many miles happy motoring with her.

Ernest

Speaking of colours i believe my one was originally black, well it was before it was restored anyway a few years ago ( long before i bought it). I have got some photos off of a previous owner which show it in "original" black if you would be interested in seeing them.

Do show those photo's.

67223_613751658642057_86936765_n.jpg

Our 1942 Ariel W/NG, complete with Mrs M............the W/NG is called "Nancy" as that was the name carved into her bakelite steering damper by the original rider during WW2..........had this machine for nearly 20 years now, found in bits in a coal shed in Kent and restored by me (twice now) since acquisition..........:-D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73882[/ATTACH]

Our 1942 Ariel W/NG, complete with Mrs M............the W/NG is called "Nancy" as that was the name carved into her bakelite steering damper by the original rider during WW2..........had this machine for nearly 20 years now, found in bits in a coal shed in Kent and restored by me (twice now) since acquisition..........:-D

Very nice bike, one of my favourites. Overhead valve and the signature from Edward Turner, very nice!

Guy

I am brooding my spectrum Ron and I think it is a little bit your fold, al these bikes in your collection give a bad influence on my interest in only triumph wd bikes.

But one ting is for sure, like mostly overhead valve type's.

Guy

Can't argue with that Guy. But there is something decidedly quaint and antique about the thump of an old M20 or 16H. I was very surprised when riding with some Dutch guys in France a couple of years ago when I had trouble keeping up with a large Dutchman and teenage pillion nephew on a Royal Enfield WD/C (350 SV). Ron

Sorry the m20 isn't black, the pictures don't show it very well but it is actually green! Also this is going to be a bit of a daft question but what oils do you use in the various parts of the bike as I would like to change the oils before I do to many miles on it?

Martyn, it looks like your rear carrier might be developed from a different model? Ron

You may well be right, i know it is not original to the bike and was put on later in a restoration but not really sure if it is correct or not. From pictures i have seen you are probably right as i can't see anything like it. But it does the job for now!