Found source in USA for EP90 GL4 gear oil...

I was told by every local parts store (over 20) that in the U.S. they don't make EP90 GL4 gear oil that some items on the Ferret need..

After alot of searching i found a distributor of the EP90 GL4 gear oil (not ep75/90 gl5).....I ordered from PSC Petroleum Service Company here in the USA 855-899-7467....5 gallon pail for about $78.00 which includes UPS shipping....

GL5 is a newer oil which will harm the bronze internal parts found in old classic vehicles...The GL4 is the rating your old classic should have....

Whilst it is true that GL4 contains fewer additives than GL5 it is not totally free, to be completely safe you need to use GL1. This spec is freely available in the UK from a number of manufacturers including Morris Oils and I see no reason why it shouldn't be also available in the US.

Whilst it is true that GL4 contains fewer additives than GL5 it is not totally free, to be completely safe you need to use GL1. This spec is freely available in the UK from a number of manufacturers including Morris Oils and I see no reason why it shouldn't be also available in the US.

After a discussion with their engineer he said the Ferret needs the EP (extra pressure)90 and GL4 would be fine for old classic vehicles.... He said doing ALOT of everyday high speed or long driving with GL4 would cause the problem of certain interior metal deteriorating and since the Ferret wouldn't be used as such GL4 would be fine... .......

Please don't think i am arguing i am trying to learn as there is so much different information out that one can easily be confused...I am only trying to determine what would be a good application......

Thank you all for the discussion....

Edited by joeferret

After a discussion with their engineer he said the Ferret needs the EP (extra pressure)90 and GL4 would be fine for old classic vehicles.... He said doing ALOT of everyday high speed or long driving with GL4 would cause the problem of certain interior metal deteriorating and since the Ferret wouldn't be used as such GL4 would be fine... .......

Please don't think i am arguing i am trying to learn as there is so much different information out that one can easily be confused...I am only trying to determine what would be a good application......

Thank you all for the discussion....

In my reply to you I was generalising and not being Ferret specific , no doubt the Ferret experts on here will be able to confirm which spec would be correct. Sorry if I was a little confusing.

Joe;

NAPA carries EP90. Their supplier is ASHLAND Oil Co. (Valvoline). If you buy the 5 gallon pail labeled Valvoline it is $115.00, if you buy the 5 gallon pail labeled NAPA it is $82.00 it is the same oil. Thanks for the lead on the other oil.

John G.

Joe;

NAPA carries EP90. Their supplier is ASHLAND Oil Co. (Valvoline). If you buy the 5 gallon pail labeled Valvoline it is $115.00, if you buy the 5 gallon pail labeled NAPA it is $82.00 it is the same oil. Thanks for the lead on the other oil.

John G.

Hi John thanks for responding.....NAPA was the first 2 stores I called they both said they carry75/90 and can order 80/90 but no 90...I went with an oil distributor out of PA. that had the EP90GL4...Now I am on to another venture...ferret was delivered today and gasket between carb & intake manifold is bad so it had some high idle time trying to get it of the transporting trailer.....I've located a gasket thanks to a forum member so will fix that within the week then on to a full brake and line rebuild....

About the high speed fluid that should go in the fluid coupler...I purchased a 5 gallon pail and won't be using it as the previous owner for the past 32 years used non detergent sae30 motor oil !!!!!!!! IF you are close I can make you a great deal on that if interested..