Are these WW1 or WW2 Ammo boxs ?

Ian L

Can anyone identify & date these boxs ? I won one on ebay a couple of days ago for £8.10 & when I got there he let me have another 3 for £30 in total.

I was thinking 50s or 60s ? but one is lined with a 1923 newspaper, could they be post WW1 ?

Ammo Box 1.jpg

005.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

011.JPG

Hi, on the ends where the rope handles are, you might find stamped on the bottom edge of the box a date and manufacturer, this is a common place to find marks on British ammo boxes etc.

Regards Gary

Hi Gary thanks for that info, 3 of them are 1917 & one is either 1915 or 1916 ?

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

Would look good in the back of a Dennis or Thornycroft

Given the dates and the condition of them, I couldn't think of anywhere more appropriate.

I'll bet they were 2d or 3d each when they were new, though... :cool2:

I thought you might like my little find Tony, it cant be every day that things like this turn up in almost 'as new' condition.

Would look good in the back of a Dennis or Thornycroft ;)

Well, Ian - should you ever decide to move one or two on, then please think of us!

Tony

Well, Ian - should you ever decide to move one or two on, then please think of us!

Tony

Hi Tony due to their age & condition they will be of no use to me for the intended use as general storage in the Austin.

I was wondering if you boys would like all 4 boxes on permanent loan for display in one of your vehicles ?

Ian, the inside of the lids appear to have two round holes cut into them. Is this indeed the case? And are the holes a clue as what specifically was originally put into the boxes?

John.

Hi John thats correct the lids do have some sort of circular recess cut into them & I'm sure somebody on the forum must know that these boxes were used for ?

010.JPG

Edited by Ian L

Hi Tony due to their age & condition they will be of no use to me for the intended use as general storage in the Austin.

I was wondering if you boys would like all 4 boxes on permanent loan for display in one of your vehicles ?

Hi Ian! That is a very kind and generous offer - I will come back to you later by way of a PM if I may!

Tony

I've looked through the Handbook below in the hope of finding something.

Dsc03953_zps73cda0c6.jpg

There were only three instances of stores in wooden crates that contained just two tins. These were for preserved vegetables, oatmeal & fags. Clearly the proportions are all wrong for the size of hole in such a large box.

Might it be worth gently sanding the boxes down to see if there are any ASC markings that might give an idea of the general category of stores?

There are some categories on pages 3-4 of this:

http://hmvf.co.uk/pdf/WAGONS.pdf