Halfpenny at War

Smithy

Anyone know if Halfpenny at War us on this year? I hadn't been able to attend the first two shows due to a clash with Belvoir Castle. However due to that show moving I was hoping I would be able to go along, but I can't see where it's advertised or even if it's on!

Any help much appreciated.

The proposed dates are 25/26 May 2013 with Monday the 27th optional at this stage. I know that its still in the planning stages at the moment, I will contact the organisers, and try to get these dates confirmed....... I hope that that helps for now....... some of our members have attended the last couple of shows and tell us that its a very good show, on a good site with good facilities.

Thanks for the information Big Ray. I notice that the proposed dates you have given are the weekend after the norm as the clash had usually been over the third weekend in May before, however these dates perhaps wouldn't suit the North Staffs crew as it's the same weekend as Smallwood which I know that you guys attend. If you can find out more that would be great though.

Thanks for the information Big Ray. I notice that the proposed dates you have given are the weekend after the norm as the clash had usually been over the third weekend in May before, however these dates perhaps wouldn't suit the North Staffs crew as it's the same weekend as Smallwood which I know that you guys attend. If you can find out more that would be great though.

We tend to split our members, and do both.............. I have just e-mailed the organisers, waiting for a reply, will post the confirmation regarding the show and dates.

Do we know what the criteria will be regarding vehicles etc? Wil it be limited to WW11 or, as it should be if a MVT area is running it, open to all?

Mark

Hi Mark we had the same point raised last Thursday at our local MVT meeting, a local steam railway society wants WW2 vehicles to attend their Steam weekend in May but several owners of 70s vehicles made a fuss because they want to attend.

Also last Summer we attended an event at Coleshill Manor 40s weekend which the orginasers made clear was only for 40s vehicles but it was 'gate crashed' by a couple of 70s vehicles which I think embarrased the organiser and spoilt the effect.

If its Halfpenny Green at War I'm guessing that they might want only WW2 period vehicles ?

OK fire away at me :saluting:

Hi Mark we had the same point raised last Thursday at our local MVT meeting, a local steam railway society wants WW2 vehicles to attend their Steam weekend in May but several owners of 70s vehicles made a fuss because they want to attend.

Also last Summer we attended an event at Coleshill Manor 40s weekend which the orginasers made clear was only for 40s vehicles but it was 'gate crashed' by a couple of 70s vehicles which I think embarrased the organiser and spoilt the effect.

If its Halfpenny Green at War I'm guessing that they might want only WW2 period vehicles ?

OK fire away at me :saluting:

Not at all, you make very valid points, I have however been in contact with the organiser for this coming event, he assures me that he is going to propose to the site owners that we should have post war involvement, it will, I suspect, be suggested that the two groups should occupy different areas. That seems both reasonable and acceptable to me, its being there that matters. As a long time member of the MVT I have always believed very strongly that there should be no distinction between ww2 and post war vehicles, they were all built for the same purpose and all are of equal interest to the genuine military vehicle enthusiast. ( I do understand the need for ww2 stuff for a specific event, for example a tour through a town depicting a liberation event, but even that should not exclude post war vehicles from doing a static display) We are all like minded people, pursuing a hobby that we all love. I will stay in close contact with the organiser, and convey any relevent information as I receive it.......... I hope to see EVERYONE there,

I will add I went last year with CRAB1 (1980 Airportable) with .50cal and 1982 era display. Had booked in as such.

On arrival I was shown to pos. one of the best spots on the site infront of the main hanger!!!!

I made the point myself I in NO way wanted to distract from the WWII image some folks were prob. expecting to see and moved my self to a back area from all WWII displays out of respect for re-enactors etc.

Ended up having a first class weekend and response from all was outstanding.

At the end of the day it's up to all of us to have total respect for what other do and enjoy/expand our military hobby for all concerned.

I have received a phone call today from a different organiser (different event actually,Halfpenny at war.) This gentleman is organising the show on 30-31st March 1st April, Easter weekend. It appears that these dates are going ahead, they will be providing a Bar-B-Q on the Saturday evening for the exhibitors. ( The other dates that I have posted are still only a proposal, I will keep you updated on that one.) I am afraid that I forgot to ask about post war military vehicles, I will rectify that error as soon as possible.

I have received a phone call today from a different organiser (different event actually,Halfpenny at war.) This gentleman is organising the show on 30-31st March 1st April, Easter weekend. It appears that these dates are going ahead, they will be providing a Bar-B-Q on the Saturday evening for the exhibitors. ( The other dates that I have posted are still only a proposal, I will keep you updated on that one.) I am afraid that I forgot to ask about post war military vehicles, I will rectify that error as soon as possible.

Where is this one at Ray, or are you saying it's on the same site as Halpenny at War? Is it open to the public do you know?

Cheers, Scott

If it's the chap I know and been told is doing the Easter event. Great chap. Really need to know what is going on as want to book one or the other in May as a group. This event (May one, working Easter)at the mo. has most points but carnt hang on too long as need to get bookings off, we dont double book. Scott, as I understand easter event all vehicles welcome and yes open to the public.

Edited by airportable
Gramma

Now I have been informed that this one is a non starter, seems that the only show will be the one taking place on the 25/26 and poss 27th May 2013. I am afraid that I can only pass on the information as I receive it, but I am now making a point of keeping in touch on a daily basis, again I will pass on all info when I get it.

Now I have been informed that this one is a non starter, seems that the only show will be the one taking place on the 25/26 and poss 27th May 2013. I am afraid that I can only pass on the information as I receive it, but I am now making a point of keeping in touch on a daily basis, again I will pass on all info when I get it.

Thanks Ray for keeping us all informed.

A meeting was held yesterday and the show is definitely on 25/26th May 2013, it all sounds very good. Details to follow.

Thanks for confirming that Ray, I'll stick it in the diary and all being well should be able to get across to this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to Big Ray for keeping folks up to speed with Halfpenny Green 40's Weekend. That is it's official title. The Birmingham & West Midlands Area MVT has been contacted by the airport to see if it can pick this event up after being ....er...I'm not sure of the words to use here....lets say not being organised again by Northern 40's. I said yes and after a few e mails met up with the airport management. The show is very much ON and is over the 25 and 26th May 2013. There is another event happening there over the Easter weekend but is NOT connected to the 40's Weekend. There has been a story put around that Halfpenny Green's airport management are not interested in doing a 40's event this year. That is rubbish. The airport is 100% behind this show. Entry forms have just been produced for vehicles and reenactors forms are soon to be available.

I have got another meeting with the airport management on the 8th March where we will be discussing the site layout and other arrangements. I am currently arranging for this to be an MVT event so that current MVT members can get in free without a vehicle.

The airport management is hoping to organise a pre 1950's aircraft fly in to coincide with the 40's weekend.

Post war vehicles can attend but they will be parked in a designated area so as to preserve the 40's theme. Some entertainment will be provided for exhibitors only on Saturday night with a DJ in one of the hangars.

We DON'T have a budget for the show so we are depending on the generosity of various folks. We hope to generate sufficient funds to be able to do it again next year from gate takings. Sorry folks fuel money etc has long faded into the mists of time!

I hope you will support us as we endevour to pick up the pieces and start again.

Vehicle entry forms can be obtained from me by e mailing hippo1944@hotmail.com

PLEASE use an SAE when you return the form. I have a budget of zero and I don't want to waste it!

I am also organising Black Country Living Museums 40's Weekend 20th & 21st July 2013. Limited spaces for this event.

DON'T forget Tanks Trucks and Firepower Show 2013 Celebrating 45 years of the MVT 24th 25th and 26th August 2013.

Our 4th year in collaboration with the Alvis Fighting Vehicles Society.

Phil Palmer

Chairman, Birmingham & West Midlands Area MVT

Thanks again Big Ray.