Mystery American Red Cross clubmobile-not a GMC CCKW

GoranWC51

Does anyone have information, and additional photos, of this mystery ARC (American Red Cross) Clubmobile bus?

The text with the photo claims it was taken in Italy. ARC did convert a number of British buses for use in the UK prior to the D-Day invasion. None were brought over to the continent but were replaced with the GMC CCKW based vehicles so often seen in pictures.

Picture number 2 shows one of the buses used by the ARC.

1kyCiv.SlMa.80.jpg

Goran N

Italian-job-copyright.jpg

ARC-clubmobile.jpg

The ARC's were converted London Transport coaches.Sometime around 1942 many were converted to American Red Cross "Clubmobiles" to dispense Coffee and doughnuts to services men on airfields and bases around the uk.The US Army had them on loan from London Transport. They were painted grey and given names of various american cities. After the war they were converted back to coaches by the owner. I will dig out some photos I have somewhere and add them to the thread.

Regards

Ross

Yes there is a couple of them restored or in the process of being restored.

I have found the few photos I have of them. As well as being used a "Clubmobiles" they were also used as normal buses and as ambulances by the US Army.

Ross

ARC004.jpg

ARC003.jpg

ARC002.jpg

ARC001.jpg

Those pictures are great! But I still think the mystery ARC vehicle in the first picture is something else. Perhaps some house type trailer? There's a large covered area from the rear tire/tyre rearwards that the buses do not seem to have.

The should be other pictures showing the whole vehicle, or the whole setup, elsewhere... Just needs to get found.

Goran N

• 7 months later...

No genuine ex ARC Clubmobile AEC Regal 10T10's are known to survive, but two examples of the uber rare 10T10 bus are in existence, one is fully restored into its original Green Line livery and operated by the Chobham bus museum and the other is undergoing restoration with Ensign Buses in Grays Essex after repatriation from Australia in 2004.

This repatriated example did serve as an Ambulance during the blitz as the ambulance signwritten paintwork was clearly visible when it returned to the UK. Expected to be completed this year and once again be available to tramp the streets of London and the home counties on high days and holidays, this bus really is a rare bread and an amazing survivor; all credit to Steve Newman and the Ensign crew for saving her and undertaking the restoration to their usual high standards.

For pictures of her as reaptriated and the rebuild visit http://www.ensignbushire.com/#!restorations/c1nhz

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82067[/ATTACH]

This picture is taken at RAF Ramsbury and would I suggest support your comment that the ARC used Bedofrd's as Clubmobiles.

This photo is a Bedford, most probably an OY and looking at post#10, from Mick, possibly the same one as body details line up, you can just make out that it has a WD dived wheel (to my eyes) so a Bedford OY in my view.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's a vehicle I haven't seen as a Red Cross Clubmobile before; A Dodge WC62...

It's rear body is different and the sides are flat. Could it be a rear body that folds out to become a stage?

Anyone know more about these? I'd love to get a WC62 without a rear body (and there are plenty of those around Europe) and build me such a vehicle

Dodge WC62 Red Cross Clubmobile.jpg

Goran N

Edited by GoranWC51

Goren,

Nice photo!

I think that a replica of that Dodge WC62 would be brilliant ! Quite easy to build and it would make a good camper too.

The crawler tractor with a winch on the front is a Tractor, Heavy, M1, IHC TD18 (SNL G101). It is a IHC TD18 with a front mounted winch, full width seat for 4 crew, full lighting and a standard hight towing pintle. They were designed for towing artillery pieces but were too slow so were replaced by the M4 High speed tractor.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it is indeed a Cinemobile, you can just read ARC Cinemobile on the side if zoom in on the very rare pic.

The Cinemobiles carried a piano, film projector and sound system. The Cinemobile and Clubmobile bodywork was built in England for the ARC

Edited by Nick Johns

• 1 month later...

Any chance you have more information, preferably photo's, as the only photo I've managed to find is the one posted above.

Have also, in vain, tried to find the book (in which there supposedly are a few (?) Cinemobile photos)

"The Clubmobile--the ARC in the storm Paperback

by Marjorie Lee Morgan (Author)

Paperback

Publisher: Hazlett Print. & Pub (1982)

Language: English

ISBN-10: 0940588072

ISBN-13: 978-0940588073"

Cheers,

Goran N

Any chance you have more information, preferably photo's, as the only photo I've managed to find is the one posted above.

Goran N

It is the only pic of a Cinemobile I have found too, there is very little information about them, the side folded down to form a stage, it seems most were used for stage entertainments, singers etc,

Edited by Nick Johns

Hi

Fantastic picture of the cinemobile. It's the best picture I've seen of one of them :shocked:. And the best, thanks to it I found the answer for a strange "clubmobile" I had seen in a documentary.

doc 017.jpg

The answer was easy, it wasn't a clubmobile. I've discovered with your picture.

As soon as found the adress for the documentary I'll post it. I'm a little bit caotic :rolleyes:

Cheers

P.S. I'm surprised. it's the same vehicle.

Edited by cucho ramone

Hi Cucho,

What documentary was that still photo taken from? I can probably get more stills out of that video if I have it. So name of the documentary and where I can find it would be most helpful.

It is indeed the same Dodge as in the photo I posted. I have learned that the ARC worked with groups of 8 GMC Clubmobiles and one Dodge Cinemobile in each group.

Notice that this Clubmobile is based on a closed cab GMC WITH gun opening in the roof of the cab...(!)

ARC GMC CCKW 353 closed cab_0002.jpg

Goran N

Hi Goran

I'm Fano Suarez

Here it is the adress.

http://www.wmur.com/Wednesday-August-15th-Serving-on-WWII-Clubmobiles/13424784

Sadly it's only a picture (go to 2:40), not more images, but there are some good pictures of clubmobiles. My level of English is not the best:embarrassed: so I don't understand well the dialogues. I don't know if the cinemobile it's mentioned.

Yesterday I review the pictures I have and I found another one that I think it's a Cinemobile. At night, with more time I'll post it.

About your last picture, yes, it's funny but it's not the only one. There are more vehicles with the ring mount. The selection of the trucks was curious. I supose they closed the ringmount.

In your picture is also visible the "trafficator" near the door.

Well, later I will continue

Cheers