Mystery Oil Leak!!

Sylvester

Question

Hi Folks,

I have a mystery to solve!! :-o My little ferret sits on my drive at the back of the house! But, it has a little drip of oil from the rear belly plate (Open) but when I check the oil lvels....No loss?? :?

My main engine oil is a little overfilled, :roll: which I will sort out shortly! Have checked security of all the other drain plugs underneath.... Nothing amiss!!

I'm stumped! Any suggestions?

Its not a lot of oil but when the rain gets through the tarp it fills the bucket and spills all over the place...Bit of a pain. Also, I just don't like my old girl having a leak on the drive! :-D

Any suggestions most welcome

All the Best

Fred & Annika

6 answers to this question

Hi Fred,

I have exactly the same problem. I had put it down to the belly being generally oily and just getting washed out when it rains. A little oil goes a long way when it gets on the drive. There are no big drops of oil...just that unsightlly rainbow on the drive.

Mick

ps...that CD you sent me is great!!

Cheers Guys,

Just a liitle extra Lee, it says in the book that some ferrets transmission is fed by the engine oil supply? :? I topped up the transmission last year before the Oddessey, do you happen to know if the engine oil is fed to the transmission directly or wot!! If so, that could explain why my main eng. oil level has increased so much? :-D

All the Best

Fred & Annika

Fred,

Not sure which manual you've been reading but the engine, gearbox and transfer box oils are all separate systems. You will need to check and top off each one. No oil is transferred from the engine to the transmission. Where you may have got your wires crossed is that the engine and gearbox use the same grade of oil, the transfer box uses EP 90 instead of SAE 30.

All Ferrets leak, the more oil you put in the more leaks out. Even if you were to replace every single seal on the vehicle you'd still get puddles underneath it. Just keep it all topped up.

Chris

Cheers Chris,

It was a little section in a pamphlet about the ferret (Non-Mil) :whistle: and yes, I didn't quite see how it could but .... Just thought I would check as things do change over the years n I didn't remember it having any such seperate supply when I did my D&M course on them back in the 70's, but thanks for that :-D

As for the little buggers leak... I guess we never noticed in the Reg't cos they were so clogged up with mud, I doubt any oil could ever have seeped through! :-D

Anyway Thanks for that folks,it was just bugging me as, the guy I got it from, said they had some trouble when they put the new lump in! As some of the jobs they (Him & his Mate!) have done..... :schocked: I think they were probably more used to wearin Stetsons and riding their horses off into the sunset!! :whistle:

So, I feared the possibility of a major Clanger about to drop!! :schocked:

Thanks and See You all at the Show!!

All the Beast

Fred & Annika

Fred,

Not sure which manual you've been reading but the engine, gearbox and transfer box oils are all separate systems.

Some Ferrets could have a gearbox / transfer box with a common oil, with a through flow, usually only identifable by the oil grades painted by the fillers. These must have engine oil in both parts.

Richard