3HW clutch hub nut and engine drive nut removal. HELP!!

B.WATT

Right im going to shoot my self (not actually) if i cant do this, ive been trying for bloody hours and my hands have stopped functioning through the cold, dont know if im missing something very simple or what? But trying to remove the nut on the clutch hub and removing the nut on the front drive sprocket is proving rather difficult! Can anyone help please??

thank you ever so,

Brad

Brad you usually have to shock them undone with a good fitting socket or Ring spanner and a lump hammer. You can stop things turning by putting in gear and apply the back brake. Better if you have a friend or Uncle Stuart to help! Ron

I don't remember anything L/H thread on these. I have adopted other methods, such as, wedge a bar or screw driver between the floor and slots in the clutch centre hub and gently lean on a socket bar. Better if someone sits on the bike to stop it rising up. Ron

3HW 069.jpg

Ron is correct..........patience is the key here (plus a bit of brute-force).............lock it in top-gear, apply the back brake as well, and ENSURE that you are using a well-fitting (narrow) socket OR, even better, an old-fashioned NARROW box-spanner.........leverage is the solution here....so the longer the spanner or socket and additionally the Tommy-bar or ratchet handle the better......think about extending the latter with a section of rigid tubing...?.......you need to get everything set-up correctly, assistance from a second person to jam the back brake on is useful (plus to sit on the bike to prevent any movement), and IF NECESSARY jam a wedge between the chain and sprocket to lock everything up (eg - a short spanner, chisel, etc)........key to hammer blows is not repeated hammering, more short, sharp blows............a bit of concentrated heat on the nuts (ooh err missus !!!) can help as well.......use a blow-torch or a small gas-powered soldering tool to direct the heat............

It WILL shift.......:D

• 1 year later...
I don't remember anything L/H thread on these. I have adopted other methods, such as, wedge a bar or screw driver between the floor and slots in the clutch centre hub and gently lean on a socket bar. Better if someone sits on the bike to stop it rising up. Ron

Hi Ron,

couldnt help noticing that there is some sort of pipe in the primary timing case shown in your photo. Is it a simple breather pipe? I've been working on my 3HW clutch and it clearly doesn't have this pipe and there is just a hole in the inner part of the primary chain case. Do you have a closer shot of it?

abdy

Yes here is a picture of the strip down. The ally cases of the earlier models also have a breather pipe. I guess it's to stop any oil leaving through the breather. Although I don't fully understand the need for a breather at all. These must be far from airtight behind the clutch! Ron

3HW 014.jpg

Yes here is a picture of the strip down. The ally cases of the earlier models also have a breather pipe. I guess it's to stop any oil leaving through the breather. Although I don't fully understand the need for a breather at all. These must be far from airtight behind the clutch! Ron

Thanks Ron, can you tell me what the pipe does on the other side of the inner casing? Ie is it just cut off flush or does it go up/down etc